Positioning kitchen appliance sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to order a new kitchen and before getting Mr Spark in I want to do some preparation. Currently all the kitchen electrics are surface mounted. As the appliances are moving slightly I want to start chiselling some holes for new flush mount boxes.

I know exactly where the appliances will be but I'm unsure of what the best practice is for placing sockets. Should they be in the centre of the appliance space or to one side? What is the proper height? Someone told me they could be mounted on the cabinets but this doesn't sound ideal.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I am about to order a new kitchen and before getting Mr Spark in I want to do some preparation. Currently all the kitchen electrics are surface mounted. As the appliances are moving slightly I want to start chiselling some holes for new flush mount boxes.

I know exactly where the appliances will be but I'm unsure of what the best practice is for placing sockets. Should they be in the centre of the appliance space or to one side? What is the proper height? Someone told me they could be mounted on the cabinets but this doesn't sound ideal.

Thanks in advance.

Speak to Mr Spark since he will be designing, installing and testing the circuit and will be one who will best be able to give you the necessary advice as to where you can and cannot place these sockets, their height and location in relation to the units and how many there needs to be.

... also their placing in relation to the existing supply cables. And if the kitchen's been played around with before you may start whacking into the wall and find cables buried where they shouldn't be. Got called in by a kitchen fitter yesterday when he was about to drill out a 4-inch core for an extractor. Luckily he cleared a bit of plaster first and found a 10mm cable - turned out to be the hob feed, offset by about a foot from where it should have been! If he'd found it using the core drill he wouldn't have been very happy ....

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back