Positioning of balanced flue terminal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm out with my tape measure trying to decide if a new boiler can be fitted in a particular location. The problem is positioning the flue terminal outside.
With the minimum clearance from an internal corner (450mm?) it would be too close to a doorway (<300mm). If I go as high as possible whilst maintaining the clearance to the internal corner I still can't get it 300mm above the top level of the door, but it would be 400mm away diagonally from the top corner of the door opening. i.e. the closest part of the door opening would be 400mm from the flue. Question is, would this be ok?

Sponsored Links
It'll tell you what you can and can't do in the instructions with the boiler. The instructions overrule any standard or Corgi info on Blr flue positioning.

Minimum standard is usually 300mm from internal/external corner for a fan flued boiler. A lot of manufacturers will say it is ok to go as close as 25mm, subject to pluming nuisance factor. Check M I's.

I Assume you mean a fan flued boiler if it is going to be a new one and not a balanced flue as your post subject.

If it was balanced flue for some reason, maybe a water heater, then this will need to be 600mm from any opening window, door or air vent etc.

Sorry, yes, I have used the wrong 'terminalology' :) It is a fanned flue :oops: .
I was going by the manufacturers instructions, http://www.biasi.co.uk/pdf/Riva_Advance_HE/INSTALLATION & USER/EDITION_4305.pdf which state 300mm above or to side of an opening. (It's on page 24 of 44). If they just said 300mm away from an opening, I wouldn't be asking.

I do find your first comment most interesting gas4you. I looked up a random different manufacturers instructions on line and they said 25mm from internal corner. Why on earth would Biasi specify 450mm? it's a huge difference and if I could get away with less I could place the boiler in a more convenient location. Guess I should ask Biasi.

Sponsored Links
I haven't a clue on this one. I would like to say it is because they are cheap and not manufactured to the same quality as other manufacturers, but I can't because I don't have anything to do with Biasi. Others on here that know this make have mixed feelings about them.

Spend a bit extra and go for a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831 ;)

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
I already have the Biasi, bought it last year but then other things took priority and that project was temporarily shelved.
I chose it for four reasons. I wanted the power to deliver, and this baby has a stonking 35kw to instant hot water. :) This must result in increased volume of exhaust gases, maybe they feel the terminal needs to be further away from the adjacent wall to avoid staining when it's running at full chat?
Secondly I wanted good efficiency and it is sedbuk band A.
Third, I do lurk in these forums and have read up on some mixed opinions. I may be wrong, but the detractors of the brand just seem to dismiss it out of hand like people dis Skoda, whereas Skoda is actually now very good. (Not that I would have a Skoda mind you).
And yes for the performance it is relatively cheap, which is a bonus if the product is ok. Time will tell

I dont see that any condensing boiler could ever be sensibly placed only 25 mm from an internal corner as it would be discharging along a wall which would then get very wet.

25 mm from an external corner would onloy occur if the wall material was very thin but operationally it would be no problem.

My interpretation about the distance from a door is that 300 diagonally would be no problem.

However, the normal thing is to have a CORGI engineer assisting with the installation and as he would have the responsibility for compliance then he would make the decisions.

Do make sure the gas supply pipe size is correctly calculated otherwise not only will it not meet the regulations but the boiler may give problems. It can only lose 1 mB from meter to boiler.

Tony

Tony

As Tony says, make sure CORGI works out gas pipe size calculation correctly. For 35Kw combi you really need to go to 28mm if eqivalent lenght of gas pipe run is over 9/12 metres other wise you will not the the acceptable pressure drop when taps turned on and maybe not even the full hot water capability :rolleyes:

Good point about the gas supply pipe size Guys. The boiler will be a fairly short distance from the meter, but then there are other appliances to take into consideration. I will make sure this is calculated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back