Positive or negative head pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is probably a bit of a tired one but I could do with a bit of help deciding which pump to go for.
I have a gravity fed system in a single storey cottage. I run a Stuart Turner positive head pump for the shower hot and cold but this has plenty of head as it is directly below the header tank (loft) and storage tank which is 1.5m below the header tank.
I've just run in a new hot water feed to the sink in new single storey extension but it needs help. The problem has occurred because I had to go back up into the loft space in order to get over to the new extension and also the tap on the sink there is a dreaded monobloc with those very narrow felxis.
I have read that if I am getting less than a litre a minute flow then I should go for a negative head pump to cure the problem. But from what I understand these things rely on pressure switches. The first twenty seconds of running the tap I get good flow due to the build up, does this mean I could go for a positive or will it keep cutting out when things get going?
Thanks for any guidance.

Sponsored Links
Negative head pumps only rely on pressure to get them started, once they are going a flow switch takes over and as long as there is water flowing the pump will continue to run.

It looks like negative then as I don't think I have enough to keep a positive going. Any suggestion on a single impeller that won't break the bank?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back