Possible filling loop fault, can I DIY replace it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Baxi Ecoblue 16 Heat (tank, not a combi) boiler. We have found that if we bleed our radiators, the system will lose pressure and it's hit and miss if we can re-pressurise it. The last engineer we had out for a separate issue said the filling-loop is faulty (I'm going off my memory here, I think he said filling-loop). It was under warranty at the time and he wasn't an approved engineer and so we said we'd get it done. Anyway, that never happened (long story).

It's out of warranty now and I'm wondering if this is something I can do myself? Does the system need draining to replace this part and is it a difficult job? I've attached some photos of the system and what I think is the filling-loop that needs replacing.

photo_2020-11-03_15-33-21.jpg photo_2020-11-03_15-33-15.jpg photo_2020-11-03_15-33-18.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can replace the actual flexible easily, just turn the valves off at each end and fit a new one, but it is unlikely the original is faulty unless it was damaged.

The taps/valves at either end are more likely to be faulty. For the lower one on the left, you would need to turn your main water supply off whilst you swap it. For the upper one on the right, then you would have to drain your heating system, whilst it was replaced, then refill and add corrosion inhibitor.

Most likely the issue was simply the plastic valve handle i broken on the valve lower left, in which case just get an identical valve and swap the plastic part over.

You can replace the actual flexible easily, just turn the valves off at each end and fit a new one, but it is unlikely the original is faulty unless it was damaged.

The taps/valves at either end are more likely to be faulty. For the lower one on the left, you would need to turn your main water supply off whilst you swap it. For the upper one on the right, then you would have to drain your heating system, whilst it was replaced, then refill and add corrosion inhibitor.

Most likely the issue was simply the plastic valve handle i broken on the valve lower left, in which case just get an identical valve and swap the plastic part over.

Thanks for the info. Are you meaning the black tap in the lower left? Turning it does seem to let the water through though. Would that not mean it's working ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back