Possibly leaking waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just noticed that 2 cracks coming from the pipe are getting worse. I believe it is leaking but I am not 100% sure. Also if it is, will digging up the concrete damage the house in any way as the pipe is quite close to the wall. Also will a chisel be sufficient?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The cracks may just be movement due to the paths not having any real foundations......if that is a cast iron pipe I would carefully expose where it enters the concrete and disturb it as little as possible.....its not necessarily leaking.
You'll probably find the pipe enters a salt glaze junction, and then heads for a nearby manhole. Salt glaze pipes are very fragile, so go carefully!
John :)

Hi,
The pipe is fully plastic and I have lifted up the manhole cover in my garden and can see the pipe continues and enters into the sewer.

Sponsored Links
Are the underground drains plastic? If so then unlikely to be a leak, but if the plastic stack has replaced an earlier cast pipe then as John has said, it could well be leaking on the joint where the plastic joins the clay pipe underground.

May need slightly more than a chisel to break that concrete out, once you've got through it, use your chisel to break the last bit away from the walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back