Post foundations for beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have been provided the post and beam size required to replace a load bearing wall and have notified building control of the work.

I am wondering what the best approach to install the post would be.

The floor is a concrete floor with a damp proof membrane a couple of inches down and a weak screed on the top of this. I was planning to use brackets, screws and plugs to hold the post in position but am worried that the screed may not be strong enough.

Therefore i could either concrete the post in or install a padstone. Both of these options will compromise the existing damp course. Which option would be best and how would i keep the integrity of the damp course?

Is there another option i have not considered?

Many thanks for any help with this.

Kind regards.

Sponsored Links
Have you had engineers calculations for this? It should include how to fix it.

If the post is load-bearing, has the fixing to a floor slab without a pad foundation been approved?

Hi,

I have the beam and post calculations but no fixing information. Is a padstone the way to go? Do I attach the post to the padstone with brackets?

The beam needs a post as it is a timber framed house and the existing timber is supported by posts.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back