post support for cordon espalier tree - advice/suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello folks,
I'm planning on growing a 5m line of apple cordons (approx. 4 or 5 trees) close to a fence. Don't fancy the idea of using the fence as a means for support, or attaching anything to it, so want to put new posts in to hold the training wire. I'm thinking about 3 posts at intervals, all 2m above ground level.

My question is what are the best posts to use, that can easily take the strain of tensioned support wires and not wobble or rot too quickly? I'm prepared to concrete them in using postcrete, but am unsure whether to use a metal anchor point, or concrete repair spur and then clamp a wooden post to it, or put the post directly into the postcrete? Main reason being if the wood/concrete point at ground level were to rot, I'd have a wobbly post that needs to be dug out, concrete and all.

The same question apples to an espalier, which will require 2 stronger posts approx. 4m apart with 3 sets of wires between them.

Sponsored Links
I would say use 4"x4" posts or bigger (the bigger the better in terms of rot), get 3m long posts and put them in the ground about 1m. you don't need concrete, just backfill with rammed earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back