Postcrete first water first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am at the moment attempting to put up a fence. I have managed to dig out the holes but they are not retaining any of the water for the postcrete, is it ok to put the postcrete in first and then the water and mix. what would be the best ratio of postcrete/water if this is possible.

Many thanks :D

Sponsored Links
Concrete doesn't "stick" to dirt, so a layer of poly between the earth and concrete will be of no significance. The concept of laying down a block of concrete around the post is to put in a mass that is held in place by gravity and reaction and keying from the surrounding earth. No "glue" required.

Sponsored Links
I've never heard of anything so daft as putting a bag in the hole before the concrete, ridiculous. Just mix your postcrete on a sheet of board (to protect the existing floor whatever that is) next to your hole and sling it down the hole, you have to work pretty quick with postcrete but apart from that it'll work just fine. Make sure you have some extra postcrete on hand, it can be surprising how much you may need depending on the hole size.

Using a bag indeed, what a bodge.

Personally I'd mix some proper concrete, if the fence has any height or weight to it. Postcrete isn't the strongest thing you can put in a hole in the ground.

Cheers
Richard

I already have all the postcrete and being disabled this is easiest for me to deal with, just want to know if i can pack it into the hole first and then add water

cheers
Linda

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back