Posted this in gutters- maybe wrong place - no replies?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a mid-terrace property. Between us and our neighbours is a plastic downpipe taking the rainwater off of our roofs. It appears to come down on the border of our houses, before diverting into the neighbours (and straight back down) on their side of a picket fence.

It then disappears into a cast iron flange at ground level in their garden, passes underground through their garden, under a wall and under the pavement. There is a gap between the kerbstones where the water (should) flow onto the road and into the storm drains.

What is the name for the piece of pipe between the bottom of the downpipe and the road? Presumably as it takes water from both of our roofs, there is a joint responsibility to maintain it? It appears to be blocked and water is building up inside the downpipe. I've removed the downpipe, removed 8 inches of solid soil (with small roots in) but cannot get a rod through from either end.

Who should I call?

Sponsored Links
Share the cost with your neighbour, and call in a water jetting company, let them attack the blockage from the road end.
They have all sorts of nozzles, and should be able to sort it out, for you.

Wotan

thanks. given that one of the blockages appears to be where it goes under a wall (from one end) and right at the pipe mouth at the other end AND there is a hedge over the line of the pipe, do you think we'll have much luck!?

Sponsored Links
it is likely the pipe is broken and there are roots getting in, it might be able to be cleared buit if broken will block up again, might be a better option to cost a dig up and renewal, may cost more but is guaranteed to work, contact buildings insurance to see if you or next door neighbour can claim, if so half the policy excess between you, job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back