Postergeist in the Central Heating System??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combination boiler - icos ideal, installed about 2 years ago and seriviced regularly. I have been hearing very very loud banging, creaking and clunking noises for over a year only when the heating is on. I also regularly get air locks in the hot water taps - i know how to remove these but have no idea why my system is so noisy - i had a new pump installed last year which didnt fix the problem - ive never heard such loud noises from hot water taps or central heating - does any one have a clue what it could be - the boiler is absolutely fine and everything works well apart from this
many thanks

Sponsored Links
How do you manage to get air locks with a combination boiler? what do you do to get rid of them?

i have no idea where the air locks come from - all i know is sometimes when i turn hot taps on, nothing comes out so what i do is........open the hot tap in question fully and stuff a t-towel up the (combined tap) outlet whilst turning on the cold tap fully, so forcing cold water up the hot tap - i hear lots of gurgling etc then once all the cold water has run out of the hot tap (hope your still awake!), the hot comes through!

Sponsored Links
Icos is heat only boiler. Are you sure this is what you have or do you mean Isar?

my boiler is definitely an icos - but i dont think the problem is boiler related - tho im only repeating what my boiler maintenance guy said

you do not have a combi boiler then. problem will be somewhere on your domestic hot water circiut/cylinder

ideal icos He24 - definitely a combination boiler - says so on the box!
thanks

wishwash said:
my boiler is definitely an icos - but i dont think the problem is boiler related - tho im only repeating what my boiler maintenance guy said

Check pipe work from large tank in loft to cylinder. What size tank in loft? Are you running tank dry in loft because it is too small for your hot water use or perhaps your cold mains pressure is too low to fill it up quick enough. If running out loft tank then air will enter pipe work each time.

wishwash said:
ideal icos He24 - definitely a combination boiler - says so on the box!
thanks
Icos he24 is DEFINATLEY NOT a combi boiler. Ideal Isar is the combi boiler. For my sins I am Ideal factory trained!

are u sure it aint an ISAR rather than an ICOS?

anyway we had this on about five of the Icos/Isars we fitted

they had to be flushed out again

that sorted it, dont ask me why as I dont have a clue, call ideal its a regular fault

i guess it must have the wrong label on, and the guy who serviced it ( a combi-boiler engineer) got it wrong as well - i paid for a combination boiler, have a combi boiler service engineer and other than sending a photo i guess there is nothing more i can do!!!
many thanks

will ideal do anything about this as its now 2 years old - its been noisy for about 18 months and getting louder!!
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back