Potatoes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

May sound a stupid question but what do you do with the compost in a container after you have harvested the tatties ? Reason I ask is you're not supposed to plant the potatoes year after year in the same earth so does that mean I could contaminate my flower beds if I add the compost to them ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
dontt think so, i think its that the spuds wont grow so well as they have "used" the good bits for spuds, but since flowers are not spuds they will be ok

Pests.

You shouldn't use the compost (or peelings) where you will be growing potatoes or tomatoes next year.

I have an idea there are some other plants as well.

Just spread it around on any bare earth, Rain and worms will do the rest.
It will help your soil structure, and your plants will utilise any nutrients the potatoes did not use.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone.

It's the first time I have grown them and they amaze me how fast they have grown.

Tried Courgettes and Aubergines this year from seed but they have died on me. I know aubergenes like humid weather and so trying to grow them in the highest village in England is probably a no no !!!!

I heard that you can grow spuds in bins.. is this right?

what's the minimum depth of compost you can grow in? would those storage containers you can get be ok? ( about 14 inches deep, 15x18inches.. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back