Potential Lead exposure.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A roughly 25 by 30cm section of paint was removed via heatgun from the wall stringer at the top of a staircase just outside of a 19 year old's bedroom. The door to the bedroom was fully open as the paint was removed. The house is a century old and there's no record of the paint's age. I ordered a testing kit but it won't come until Sunday. If it tests positive, how should I seal the section and make sure that the home is free of lead dust? What should I do now as a precautionary measure?

I tried to search online but it seemed to reccomend very extensive cleaning which I imagine is unnecessary for such a small strip of paint so low to the ground.

How much danger does lead exposure pose at this scale?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, no point replying you're probably dead already.

How much danger does lead exposure pose at this scale?
Not a lot I would think

I know if you Google it you will find lots of frightening info, but that’s mostly people who have experienced exposure over long periods.

Sponsored Links
I spent several years almost full time leadworking welding it nearly ever day later taught lead burning.
Regular blood tests never came close to limit.
Stop panicking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back