Potential Wet Rot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All,

Having just bought a property and have had a company in to give an overall survey of the property with regards to damp.

To give the big picture -

We have a couple of issues as to sources of moisture in the house and this has led to some timbers becoming wet, and a great big quote for remdial works.

Wanted the opinions of others in the industry as to how they see this issue.

It seems like we have penetrating damp problem on the gable end. The house is granite built and original mortar has been lime, but looks like it has been repointed with cement based mortar. The inside of these walls appear very damp at the joints, and have led to some joists becoming damp.

Ive been quoted for cropping back of joists, stripping out everything, applying salt treatment, applying damp proof membranes etc , at an eye watering cost. Im not completely sure this is required and wondered if the source of ingress is taken care of, and then everything ebing left to dry out should be sufficient.

See attached pictures for joists sitting on wallheads underfloor, pointing on gable end, and penetrating damp on attic inside. You can see the difference in pointing from original lime to cement based on the picture of exterior.

All comments welcomed

Attachments

• 20231124_144926.jpg
    20231124_144926.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 52
  • underfloor joists.jpg
    underfloor joists.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20231124_144958.jpg
    20231124_144958.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 52
  • 20231124_140604.jpg
    20231124_140604.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 47
  • 20231124_140550.jpg
    20231124_140550.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20231124_155341.jpg
    20231124_155341.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
Ive been quoted for cropping back of joists, stripping out everything, applying salt treatment, applying damp proof membranes etc , at an eye watering cost. Im not completely sure this is required and wondered if the source of ingress is taken care of, and then everything ebing left to dry out should be sufficient.
I'm pretty certain the company you used for the quote, have jumped on the wording and content in order to 'fluff out' their costs. Especially the juicy bits that refer to 'treatments' etc.
However, it does look to me like there is a distinct absence of DPM/DPC regards protection of the joist ends. I would still consider it a faffy job, but not ridiculously costly. A lot depends on what needs to be moved above.

Also there is nothing above this, nothing sitting on this floor so the whole thing could be jacked up IMO and anything needing cropped out could be done, and putting in a DPC from underneath?

Sponsored Links
Well better to ask you to be honest, I'm thinking about how the job could be done?

1. Jack up the joists with 4x2 and a bottle jacks temp to remove the timber on the wall ends
2. Lay in DPC
3. Reinstate new timber on the wall end
4. crop out and repair any timber that needs it
5. Set it back down on the wall ends

Or am I over simplifying it?

Well better to ask you to be honest, I'm thinking about how the job could be done?

1. Jack up the joists with 4x2 and a bottle jacks temp to remove the timber on the wall ends
2. Lay in DPC
3. Reinstate new timber on the wall end
4. crop out and repair any timber that needs it
5. Set it back down on the wall ends

Or am I over simplifying it?
The damp ingress looks like its permeating from outside rather than from below. Yes - it need thought and planning and not just the floor jacking up (off what?).

The damp ingress looks like its permeating from outside rather than from below. Yes - it need thought and planning and not just the floor jacking up (off what?).
should have been a bit clearer, there is a parquet floor above which I’d like to save. So to Jack up and repair the joists from underneath was the plan, rather than ripping up the floor and doing it from
Above. Not to Jack up the floor and leave it

No mention of ventilation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back