Poterton Puma 80 - Several problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anybody could give me some advice on the following.
Have a puma 80 which firstly had HW but no CH. Got a corgi engineer in who said the problem was with the Modulation board, but even if I replaced it he could give no gurantees. After he went I then had no HW or CH. Decided to have a dig around myself after the engineer then tried to sell me a new boiler. Replaced the board and still nothing worked. Had a fiddle with the fan, seemed to be a bit stuck. Freed it and now have HW back. Although fan only runs when HW is demanded. Firstly is this a problem ? It also sounds a bit rough, but was thinking a bit of grease might help. Flow chart said fan should run slowly at all times.

Now still no CH. When switch is set to constant nothing happens. No activitey what so ever. Looking at trouleshooting this could be the control switch or the ch temp sensor. Can anyone offer any advice. Could the fan still be affecting this ?
Where is the ch temp sensor in the boiler and how easy to replace ?

Any assistance much appreciated.

Nigel.

Sponsored Links
Flow chart said fan should run slowly at all times.
You presumably have a copy of the manual, which should enable you to identify all the parts. You need to be able to use a multimeter to check electrical connections, etc. if you're serious about trying to fix this yourself.

More info required please.Is the boiler the permanent pilot or electronic ignition model?Permanent pilot type model has a two speed fan,electronic ignition type has a single speed fan.How old is the boiler?Are there any water leaks on the domestic hot pipework or dripping taps?If so this will prevent the wax capsule type diverter valve on your boiler operating correctly in the heating mode.Also have you checked that the internal pump is operating correctly,the hot water operation of boiler will work even when the pump has failed.In reality, if the previous engineer has charged for his recent visit,call him back to complete the job.Alternativeley call potterton direct,they have a fixed charge including all parts for a guaranteed repair.

Its a permanent pilot. Haven't seen any problems with leaks. The boiler as far as I can tell is 9 years old (just bought the house). I have called potterton but they won't come and take a look at it because of its age. Not very customer friendly is it ?? and needless to say if I do have to change it, I won't be going back to them. The thing that gets me is the nothing happens bit, once the switch is flicked I would expect some kind of activety, but nothing at all raises my suspessions. I'll get a multimeter tomorrow and go over it to see what I can track down.
I don't have a manual either, so if anybody can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
nfitzger said:
The thing that gets me is the nothing happens bit, once the switch is flicked I would expect some kind of activety

At least you should hear the pump running!
Do you have a roomstat, and is it calling for heat?
When you get the multimeter, check the SL connection is 240vac wrt Neutral. After this has been established the pump should run, so check for 240 vac on the pump's 3 pin connector (and that it has not inadvertantly been disconnected)

Ok,

I've been through the troubleshooting guide on the boiler and have made some progress, I think.
My hot water problem looks fully resolved and the fan is now running perfectly.
Re - the heating, according to the guide I should have had 240Vac across the SWL and N on the controller wiring board with the heating turned on. Basically I don't, so this seems to poin to an "external problem" I guess with the controller.
Does anyone know where to start on troubleshooting controller ? this is where the guide runs out. I've checked the switch and that seems to be working ok.
Also, can anyone give guidance as to part no's and possible cost of replacing a controller ?
Any help much appreciated.

By the way the full manual is here: http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/
Just drill down.
COntroller - have you got the built in clock with little segments? If so move the wee lever UP , which is permanently on.

Yeah, it's the built in clock with segments. Not sure what you mean by the lever though. Thanks for the manual.

Niall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back