Potterton puma 80 woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I need some advice please. I have a potterton puma 80 boiler that has started to turn the pilot light off after we run the HW all the time. Last winter we had to run the HW to get the CH to come on, as in let the HW run for a couple of minutes then swith the CH on turn HW off and CH would then stay on you could not just turn the CH straight on as it would fire up and after what seemed to be the initial heating stage of a couple of minutes the pilot light would go out. I really am hoping this is not anything major and something I could sort myself as unfortunately I cannot afford a new boiler and i do not qualify for any grants as I work.

Also now takes an age to light the pilot light
The pressure is 1.5 ish
Had a new pump a couple of years ago and last year had the diverter something changed

If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Thankyou

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A few faults there, some of which will require the services of a professional as it may involve gas carrying parts. My advice would be to get it looked at and serviced before Winter.

Thanks for the reply I also noticed that when I flick the CH on the presure goes up almost to the red then drops back when pilot light goes out? Not sure if that would pinpoint it

That is a symptom of an expansion problem. That's is another problem apart from your pilot light fault.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would just say that it needs an engineer who repairs boilers rather then easily persuading you to have a new one which is a far bigger job than a simple repair.

Tony

I agree with Tony - a lot of Puma faults can be repaired... However.... the boiler has reached an age where your maintenance costs have to be considered in the round with the cost of replacing with a decent boiler with a warranty.

Worth getting it looked at with both views in mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back