potterton 3 port motorised valve faulty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My heating is failing to go off at times. I've tested the thermostat and controller and come to the conclution it's my 3 port valve. But since I've disturbed it, it now seems fine.
Will it be the acctuator at fault or do you think it will be that the valve was not seated correctly? I've tested in all positions and currently it's working ok.

I'm think it'll happen again sometime so i'd like to order the spare and repair when it does. But I can get an acctuator cheaper than the whole thing.

Many thanks
Kev.

Sponsored Links
As a very general rule if something dosn't go off it is often the valve body at fault, the paddle or ball stuck.

If something doesn't come on then the actuator head/microswitch in it..

Leave until it fails again so you can test it properly.

You can remove the actuator head off the valve spindle and test the spindle for ease of movement.
On the potterton I removed, there is no valve seat for it to seat down on.
The spindle can be fully rotated, so it's a matter of aligning up and closing off ports.
If you do take the head off, it's worth applying WD 40 and working it in.
Also, although it can't be assembled wrongly, it's still worth noting the position of the 'flat' on the spindle.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back