Potterton Back-Boiler making nasty noises...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Setup:
Potterton Housewarmer 45 back-boiler, about 6 years old; 6 rads (old rubbish ones - just sheets of metal with the pipe going round in a loop, i.e. no water in the rads themselves, but should be beside the point for this problem...).

When the boiler ignites, every now and again (maybe 3 times each in morning and evening), it makes a pretty horrendous noise, a bit like...a hot-air balloon lighting its burners; well, not quite that loud, but you get the picture! I guess from reading other posts, this is "kettling"?

Am I right in thinking draining and refilling the system has been suggested as a solution to this, possibly adding some sort of chemical to remove sludge/limescale? If so, where would I drain it from? I'm afraid I'm one of those non-practical types who knows nothing about plumbing, and just wants to save some pennies by not calling someone out! :rolleyes:

Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Dead slow you need to be dead fast about getting your boiler serviced, what it sounds like you have is the burner is back lighting at main injector .And can make the boiler dangerous

Burner needs splitting and internal filter cleaned , but sometimes these will not split properly and a new burner is required also there used to be a fault with the gas valves on those which also caused back lighting .

So a service may cure it but if it turns inrto expensive job the guy ain`t ripping you off

These boilers only come with the most minimal safety devices. You are breaking the law by not having it serviced, and more importantly you are risking your own safety and that of your neighbours.
The last back boiler I went to service was so dangerous due to poor service that the owner should count himself lucky to be alive

So what law says you must have your boiler serviced if that was the case just about every heating engineer/gasman in the country would be prosecuted...

So what law says you must have your boiler serviced if that was the case just about every heating engineer/gasman in the country would be prosecuted...

you SHALL maintain ........... to a safe standard ......... etc.

can look up the exact reference, but will cost you a pint

Buy you 2 if you find it in relation to non landlord domestic property. ;)

The noise is most probable the sit gas valve going from low to high gas rate to quick, this then lights the gas in the main burner back to the injector. this can be dangerous. new gas valve or adjustment of present gas valve is needed

this needs repairing by corgi gas engineer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back