Potterton Housewarmer 45 Back Boiler makes roaring noise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have got a problem with my 5 year old potterton housewarmer 45 Back Boiler.It has started making a roaring noise on fire up. This occurs intermittently & lasts between 5 & 10 seconds.It seems to be coming from the Burner mixing tube area.It looks like the flame is "Blowing Back". Any advice on what could be causing this and any remedy would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Turn the boiler off and have it serviced asap. From your description it sounds like the flue is not performing properly and may be discharging poisonous CO into the room.
I know it's cold, but it's better to wake up cold than, well, not wake up (and still be) cold :cry: :cry:

You really need a Corgi reg. boiler engineer (not just a plumber) to look at this sort of problem. Burner pressures need to be checked.

This noise is caused by the Sit tandem gas valve going to high gas rate (rather then low gas for 3 sec then high) and then it ignites the gas before it enters the burner, giving a blue roaring flame down the inside of the burner cone, a new gas valve is required . Do not use the boiler in this state it is very dangerous call a corgi engineer also consider a service.

Sponsored Links
quite a common fault on these boilers i always replace the complete gas valve and burner assembly :confused: mainly cos its easiest but it does sort the problem out ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back