potterton boiler flame failure

update:my local engineer suggested we just change the thermistor initially and 'see how it goes'
he fitted this, and worked fine when he was here, been a day now and the same symptoms exist.
i dont want to change the pcb to find that this also hasnt resolved the problem.
do you think, changing the pcb will probably resolve this?, or can only be known by try and see?

the only changes ive noticed is, sometimes the boiler does not reset but the temp drops to 30c and holds there. at the same time the boiler makes a much more louder noise than normal- funnily the gas meter also has a louder noise at this same time!! (only when the boiler makes this noise though-no idea if this is linked?)

Sponsored Links
update:my local engineer suggested we just change the thermistor initially and 'see how it goes'..
Great strategy.
Dunno what the problem is.
Let's change a part and see what happens.
Oops, that didn't work, let's change another part.
:rolleyes:

Maybe it is quicker and cheaper to hire a proper engineer.

update:my local engineer suggested we just change the thermistor initially and 'see how it goes'
he fitted this, and worked fine when he was here, been a day now and the same symptoms exist.
i dont want to change the pcb to find that this also hasnt resolved the problem.

Is this the same "local engineer" as the N-Power one?

As he had quoted £280 to replace the PCB, how much did he charge for that ( which did not fix the problem anyway? )

Tony

Is this the same "local engineer" as the N-Power one?

As he had quoted £280 to replace the PCB, how much did he charge for that ( which did not fix the problem anyway? )

Tony
As It was suggested by npower engineer that PCB/thermistor were causing the problem. I had the THERMISTOR changed for 40 quid. Unfortunately this hasn't sorted it!
So I'm wondering if the PCB needs changing. Which is where u guys come in :)

Sponsored Links
So in fact you have done just what I suspected then? You called someone to give you a free quote and then got someone else to cheaply change the part for you!

Quod erat demonstrandum!

You now find that it has not fixed the fault and you have lost £40. I smile at the thought!

Perhaps you may now decide to pay someone to correctly diagnose the real fault?

Tony

i knew there was a fault, which is why i took out cover from npower, thinking they could fix whatever the problem was and from then on cover me via their hometeam service.
the engineer was sent by npower. im not sure what im missing, but i cant see me doing anything incorrectly.
i was trying to get an idea if the price quoted for the repair was a fair one.

When we see you say that and then get some local cheap fellow to change just one part we can see that you are taking advantage of N-Power's free quotation and then using the information given to try to fix it on the cheap.

If you cannot see what you are doing incorrectly its using a free visit from N-Power to use a cheapie and save YOUR valuable money when N-Power have spent THEIR time and money assisting you without getting paid for it.

But its backfired on you!

ok, it seems there has been a complete misunderstanding, maybe i didnt explain the problem clearly initially..
here is how i stand.
we had the problem with our boiler as i originally posted, so i thought its probably a good time to get signed up with npowers hometeam service at the same time getting the boiler repaired.
so booked it in with npower, they popped round, mentioned what the problem was and gave me a price to rectify it i.e. £280. they suggested if i wanted to get it fixed they would pop back if required (they just completed the initial inspection/service, it was a subcontractor working for npower), since then i tried to make contact with them several times, but they advised they were really busy and couldnt give an exact time. which is why i got another local guy to do the job
he suggested to try changing the thermistor first, and then if required to change the pcb.
i hope this is now clear, and i really cant understand what you guys are getting at when suggesting ive tried pulling a fast one!

N Power might have some good engineers but ive fixed qute a few boilers that they have thrown numerous parts at with numerous visits.

Get a local independant to diagnose and repair,any engineer worth his salt isnt going to take your word on whats wrong with it,or diagnose without seeing the boiler.

No offense meant.

I still wonder why neither the N-Power or the local bothered to measure the NTC as that only takes three minutes.

So the local got £40 less cost of part, for wrongly diagnosing and fitting a part.

What is he going to charge for supply and fit of a PCB?

More relevant what will he suggest/charge next if that fails to cure the problem?

Tony

Sounds to me like whoever has looked at this boiler has just took a guess.

The diagnosis of PCB and thermistor reeks of guesstimation!

I mean, why would anyone think flame failure lockout could be caused by a thermistor...

Having said that none of us have actually looked at the boiler so no one on here can tell you any better than the engineers that have visited your property.

You could either chance it with an independent or get a fixed price repair from one of the big companies.

I don't fully undestand your N-power agreement... Have you signed up to a monthly contract with them? If so, why do they want to charge you for repairing the boiler too?

..I mean, why would anyone think flame failure lockout could be caused by a thermistor...
Theoretically, a duff ntc could cause overheat lockout, sometimes giving the same indication as flaimfailure.
Bit far fetched though.

..I mean, why would anyone think flame failure lockout could be caused by a thermistor...
Theoretically, a duff ntc could cause overheat lockout, sometimes giving the same indication as flaimfailure.
Bit far fetched though.

But there's a specific light for overheat "40". Can overheat give "30" ignition lockout too? I've never seen that before.

Did I really write flaimfailure? Must be loosing the plot. :oops:

Don't know the specific fault indications, nor do I know if they are always accurate on this model, but yes, overheat can cause lock out. Some pottys have a mechanical overheat protection that needs manual resetting, some have automatic. Some models had originally a mechanical one that was later replaced by a spare without a button :rolleyes: in which case it also needs the wiring adapted.

the fault report from the the original visiting engineer said the following:

Hot water thermistor leaking
PCB constantly requires reset.

i signed up for hometeam, but as they noticed the fault at the time of visiting, they suggested this would not be covered by the coverplan i.e. this would need to be repaired outside of the plan.

so how do i get in touch with a 'reputable person',as i tried that through npower and havent got anywhere :(

the fault report from the the original visiting engineer said the following:

Hot water thermistor leaking
PCB constantly requires reset.

(

Those are just observations on the symptoms and NOT a diagnosis of the causes.

For example the thermister probably just needed tightening up or resealing with some PTFE tape.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back