potterton boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help.
I have an old potterton kingfisher boiler rs 60. (GTA 027097)
Yesterday I had to change a radiator and drained down my system. on refilling I think I had an air lock. the boiler got hot and cut out. since then I can't light the pilot, it comes on but won't stay on. I have changed the thermocouple and this has not cured the problem. Is there a reset on these old boilers?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This doesn't make sense. The part about the boiler overheating is OK and the part about the pilot going out are OK, but they aren't connected to each other.

If you have replaced the thermocouple, make sure that the tip is deployed correctly and ensure that the other end is seated in the valve so that proper electrical contact is made. Failing all of this, your gas valve is knackered.

As far as the boiler overheating is concerned, the only reason why this is happening is because heat is not being transferred correctly from the heat exchanger, hence the overheating. So, you don't have any or enough water in it, or it's not moving. Check that the pump is running. Bleed the pump until water is running out. Check for air valves in the system at high points on the pipework. Bleed all radiators. Check the F&E tank and make sure that there is water there and that water is entering the system via the cold feed.

Sponsored Links
artfulbodger
I think the airlock stopped the water moving away from the boiler as only the pipes going in and coming out of the boiler got hot none of the rads did. The boiler worked for about 5 mins then cut out so i turned it off. Then when i tried to relight my pilot the problem started. I have checked the thermocouple a number of times and it doesn,t seem to be this. cheeers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back