potterton combi 80 poor CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a potterton combi 80
the problem is that the boiler seems to be working, eg firing up giving hot water etc but the rads are just not getting hot what so ever. drained down the system a couple of times, bled the rads, checked all the trv's. put cleaner through it. I have turned the rads all off but one and this even only gets to about 2/10 on a hot scale. The return pipe from the rad is hotter than the flow pipe,is it possible that someone has fitted this system with the help of ray charles or stevie wonder or is it a common problem.
When i drain down the system, the water which comes out seems to be clean and not black or sludgy.
The flow pipe from the boiler is extremaly hot whilst the return is luke warm which would indicate a blockage or sludge but nothing is making sense
any ideas??
Geoff

Sponsored Links
You seem to have limited flow rate through the heating.

Pump is the first thing to check ( see FAQ ).

Tony

I would check the pump first as thats easy. The eye may well have been blocked by dirt you have loosened.

If thats really OK then it sounds as if the diverter valve has failed or you have a dripping hot tap.

There is a little trick that a pro can use to "encourage" the diverter valve to move.

Tony

Sponsored Links
This model is known for the problematic diverter design, they often get stuck. As Tony said, check the pump as it is easy, but my money is on a duff diverter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back