Potterton combi 80

Bmt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potterton combi 80 boiler, radiators not all getting hot sometimes none getting hot, the primary flow pipe from the boiler gets very hot but the return pipe at the boiler stays cold or barely warm. Plumber called initially and he replaced the pump £180, no better so he suggested that the system needs power flushing £300 (different plumber) still no improvement this one just left today saying he would be back as the system was airlocked and he would need longer to cure it. I wonder if there is any plumbers out there that know what they are doing rather than trial and error at customers expense. Has anybody any good suggestions as to my problems solution

Sponsored Links
There's no reason to replace a pump on the off chance, they are easy enough to test. You should not have paid him. Have you also paid for a powerflush that was probably unecessary?

9 times out of 10 at the age these boilers are it's a diverter problem. But first you need to temporarily isolate the cold water feed to the boiler and see if the heating improves. A dripping tap or small water leak on the hot pipework will stop the heating from operating.

Use the search...you will find hundreds of postings on Puma heating problems.

Thanks for getting back so quick Gasguru. I isolated the cold water to the boiler as you suggested but did not find any difference in the temp of the return pipe (still barely warm) the inlet pipe to the closest radiator is hot but the outlet pipe is cold this is after the power flush.

Sponsored Links
Bmt you need to do the rest of what gg suggested!

But these guys have made him part with £480 whereas replacing the wax element would only have been about £136 !!!

I should learn to ride a horse!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back