Potterton Electronic Progammer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have a potterton EP which looks like the EP4002 but in brown. Last night (hottest of the year!) my central heating came on even though the slide was still switched to off. I fiddled with the switch and eventually resorted to pulling it out to check the contacts but the only way to get the heating off was at the boiler.

Before I go the expense of installing a new EP can anyone tell me if there is a way of diagnosing and fixing the problem? Could it be battery related?

My wife is going mental because I installed spotlights in the kitchen at the weekend and she is convinced the problem must be related so any help would be much appreciated!

Jim

Sponsored Links
It will more than likely be a faulty motorised valve than the programmer

namsag - thanks for the quick reply and forgive my ignorance but what is the motorised valve - is that in the boiler?

imagesug.jpg

imapo.jpg

Sponsored Links
seco - thanks for your help. unfortunately those links are blocked by my work IT administrator so I will check them tonight.

I should have mentioned that the red light on the EP stays on even when I move the switch which is what made me think it was a problem there rather than anywhere else.

the red light is probly just a backfeed on the clock. even if the prog was on, if your room stat is down then the heating shouldnt come on. certainly a mid pos/zone valve issue.

gavinda, thanks. That would make sense, although we have radiator valve controls rather than a room stat and had the patio door open because it was so warm, the valves were turned on full from the last time we had the heating on.

I've turned the radiator dial on the boiler down to 0 and all the radiators off so at least we can get hot water until I can get a CORGI guy out to look at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back