potterton envoy boiler problems??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there .

i recently bought my first house and it has one of these condensing boilers fitted

it is connected to a tank in the loft.

the previous owner never used the central heating for a good few years and now we are having problems with it.

my father has been round today and replaced the pump as it was not working and when he got the old one off he said it was so clogged up it was unbelivable.

the boiler itself is firng and then shutting down. it will carry on doing this for age.

any ideas on whats wrong with the system??

do you reckon the central heating could do with a flush to get rid of all the crap in the system???

if so what is a reasonable price for a flush on a 3 bedroom house.

cheers

steve

Sponsored Links
Some prices have been put on here or a rough guide.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=115422

I would try a cleaner first as its easy to administer via the header tank, could save you £300-400 pounds

Sentinel X400 left in your system for couple of weeks should do the trick but you would have to see if each radiator gets some heat or you could have a blockage that would need to be cut out.

the thing is does it need the boiler to be working to get the cleaner around the system or does the pump do it regardless??

The pump will do it on its own, but as with any chemical reaction heat makes it faster.

I would personally use X800 if your system is badly sludged up

Sponsored Links
I am sure that the envoy HE is ali gas, would that stuff be ok? isnt it ferroquest in another name?

Yes that is ferroquest. When I did my Sentinel course they told us you could use it for 3 hours max on an ali HE.

Perhaps it would be better to stick to X400 or maybe a fernox equivalent.

I've never seen one of these boilers :confused:

somthing youve just reminded of!!! my old man said there was fernox in the system already.

not sure how he would know this from doing the pump mind??

He probably meant inhibitor rather than a cleanser though.

Probably could tell by the smell.

if a flush is going to be around the 450 mark would it not just be worth replacing the boiler?? or would the whole system still need flushing?

more info for you .

the boiler is igniting and then going out after a few seconds???

the first time it ignited my father got some hot water out of one of the taps in the house.

now the boler is igniting , then going out , then reigniting and then going out and starts flashing an f code in the display which means boiler lockedout??

anyideas??

the poor old beast probably needs new seals and a good service

if the se4las have gone then the fan overheat protection stat will turn the burner off after a short time

:)

how often do the seals need replacing then??

the chap who sold me the house had it serviced every year including last year too??

I usually have to change them every time I service them

well if it was serviced last year it is probably due another service now

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back