Potterton EP2002 programmer and system help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

desperately after some kind hearted heating engineer to help me out of a predicament as I'm severely strapped for cash.

Basically our Potterton EP2002 controller has operated fine but with the CH on and off the wrong way round. So when the light on the controller was on it was actually off, and when the controller showed the CH to be off it would be on (when activated via thermostat). It worked originally fine until about 5 years ago when we had the kitchen redone and the fitter put tiles over the wiring diagram! We've just put up with it until now but the boiler just died and this, plus the boiler, needs to be sorted. The programmer itself has sliding controls which have all but died too, so the plan is for some genius to say ahh yes that wire is in the wrong place, and then snap on a new Potterton EP2 on to the existing back plate. After that I'm leaning towards a Vaillant Ecofit 418 to replace our dead glow worm 18hxi in the kitchen cupboard. I've looked at the Installers guide for the EP2002 and I can't figure it out. The system we have is open vented, fully pumped with the tank in the airing cupboard. The wiring on the controller is pictured like this:

IMG_0680.JPG

There are 3 leads going into the plate. Lead 1 on the left connects Blue to 1, Red to 2, Yellow to 3, Earth to A and connected on the side terminal. Lead 2 connects blue to N, Red to L, Yellow not connected. Lead 3 is hidden behind and has a brown wire connected to 5, a blue and an earth both not connected. A red wire connects L and 5.

Upstairs the airing cupboard looks like this.

IMG_0681.JPG

The white box on the floor (fuse spur?) has the pump, Y plan diverter valve, and the Honeywell tank thermostat attached. There is a thermostat switch out of the pic on the wall to the left.

I'm not after fundamental system changes such as change to a system boiler or combi, just the correct wiring scheme so our controller works fine.

Any answers thanked in advance, Glenn.

Sponsored Links
I'm only an electrician but I can help if you want!
"Ahh yes" Terminal 2 with the red wire in is CH off.
The red wire should be in terminal 4 which is CH on.
Swap it over and it should work.

Hi John. A huge thanx for that, if I could send you a beer I would. Wasn't too sure if I'd posted it in the correct section originally but glad you found it. Wired it up in a couple of mins and then fought the back plate for half an hour! But when switched on (although the boiler is dead) the controller is working exactly as it should. We haven't had much luck since we gave away away our car to my best mate (smashing fella). He's really struggled since his world was turned upside down when he lost his wife and had to bring up two kids on his own. Since we did that good deed everything has just died! Dishwasher, boiler and replacement car developed a serious fault after 6 months. We're not poor compared to some people in the world but it left me feeling when's our bit of luck going to happen??? And this was it. Sorry to waffle, but you're Ahhh yes moment means that much. Spirits revived, I'll order the EP2 and get the boiler quotes. Cheers mate, Glenn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back