Potterton EP3002 Programmer...Is it Faulty??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Until a week ago,my HW and CH system was controlled using a Potterton EP3000 programmer. The system is a relatively simple one consisting of boiler/pump/roomstat/2xmotorised valves and an indirect fed HW cylinder with stat.
The EP3000 went u/s due to the LCD screen failing,so on taking advice from a plumbers merchant i purchased an EP3002 programmer,as this was a "direct replacement"...ie no wiring changes etc to the original backplate.
On fitting the EP3002,i set the rear switch to 10 programmes,(in line with the old EP3000), and set the HW/CH programmes to come on at 5-30 to 7-30 AM and 4-00 to 10-30 PM. However, what has happened since fitment has puzzled me!!
At the start of each HW/CH cycle the programmer starts as normal,with the indicator lights illuminating as reqd etc.and everything in the system apparently working as it should.
However at the end of each cycle something "odd" happens!!. At 7-30 AM the programmers lights extinguish as if the system has shut down,but the pump,(and consequently the boiler),continue to run/fire up for a period of approximately 8 minutes...then the system shuts down as required.
This then happens again on the PM programme,where the system begins as normal at 4-00 PM but at 10-30 PM when it is due to shut down,the pump and boiler continue to operate for approximately 12 minutes,despite the programmer lights being out!!.
I have checked,re-checked the programmer timings and can find nothing wrong with these setting.......Can anyone advise me as to wether this new programmer is faulty,or if the wiring on the backplate did need altering??
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds like one of the MVs is sticking and not opening the end switch quickly enough

i set the rear switch to 10 programmes,(in line with the old EP3000)
The 10 progs position is usually used when you have pumped CH and Gravity HW. As you have two MVs, presumably one in the HW circuit and the other in the CH circuit, you can set the programmer to the 16 prog position. You can the have the HW times completely independent of the CH times

The difference is that in the 10 prog position you can have HW only or HW and CH, but not CH only. In the 16 prog position you can have CH only.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you aren't getting confused with the pump over-run (some boilers have this fitted, particularly modern wall hung)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back