Potterton help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon,

I am looking for some help with my boiler / control system.

I have recently moved into a house with a Potterton Profile 80eL boiler installed to a gravity fed system.

I was setting up the days/times on the programmer yesterday and realised that when the central heating is called for the pump will run but the boiler does not ignite.

If hot water is called for the boiler will ignite.

At the moment I am having to run the hot water and central heating at the same time to get the central heating hot, which is using quite a bit of gas!

A contractor has looked and advised that the current programmer (Honeywell ST9400C) is not compatible with a gravity fed system?
I have a feeling that this may not be true as the spec sheet stars that it is compatible with a gravity fed system.

Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
first let me explain the terminology that is so confusing and come across on a daily basis on this form, you refer to "Gravity fed system" that means an open vent system, that your system is fed by a small tank in the loft, means nothing when you are asking for advice on controls, what you actually have is a pumped CH gravity circulating HW system, they are not the same thing, your programmer can be set to gravity HW circulation, via installer mode , but you will not be able to have CH on its own without the HW being on, you will get HW on its own, if you want independent CH without HW you need additional valves and probable pipe alterations

Sponsored Links
I have looked in the loft and followed the pipes to and from the tank, but can not see any valves.

Again post pictures of what you have if you want the best advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back