Potterton Kingfisher 2 - Pilot light out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've got no heating just now because the radiators are off for decorating. All I've done is shut off the local valves for each radiator.

However, our hot water was running fine but has recently turned cold. On investigation, I've noticed that the pilot light has gone out.

Here's 2 bits of information which might be useful:

* when we bought the house recently there was a loud thumping sound (repeated, and from the loft I think) whenever we ran the hot water. I suspect that is the pump on its way out. This hasn't been fixed, but I'm sure it is still happening - the pump is still alive....just.

* one of the rad valves crept open and flooded our downstairs recently (around the time that the hot water stopped). Our boiler sits on the floor in a cupboard which was affected by the flood.

Questions:

1. Is it likely that the flood has knocked the boiler off?
2. With that in mind, should I try and get the boiler fired up myself?

Sponsored Links
If it lights but won't stay alight when you release the button on the gas valve it is probably the thermocouple gone.

Is there a small overheat button on this boiler? If so it may be in series with the thermocouple and tripped. If so reset it.

Don't know these boilers too well.

Thanks.

I found the manual over at PartsArena and followed the instructions. It scared me a bit, but the main burner is currently firing.

That saves me a callout charge at least. We've got some plumbers coming to do other work (refitting the radiators) so if I choose a Corgi registered company then I'll ask them to look over the boiler while they're at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back