Potterton Kingfisher MF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Back again after a long absence. A pensioner friend of mine has a potterton Kingfisher MF free standing boiler. This boiler is 8-9 year old I am told and been trouble free. As of last 3 days the boiler is a pain in that it fires for 2-3 minutes and stops. Could my knowlegable friends give me some ideas as what is happening and what component is likely to be failing.

I would like to help my friend out. Money is a bit short for him and as a goodwill gesture I would like to fix his boiler for him. Positive advice will be highly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Unlesss you are Gas Safe registered you should not be trying to fix gas boilers!

However, in this case it sounds as if the problem is a result of poor flow from the pump.

See the FAQ and check its at least on setting "2".

Time the on to off duration exactly and then repeat the timing after you have set the pump to the next highest setting and see if it stays on longer.

It could be that 3-4 minutes is the correct cycle time once the system is warm and that there is no problem.

Measuring the temperature differential across the boiler will identify if the flow rate is too low. It should be a nominal 10-15°C.

Tony

Unlesss you are Gas Safe registered you should not be trying to fix gas boilers!

However, in this case it sounds as if the problem is a result of poor flow from the pump.

See the FAQ and check its at least on setting "2".

Time the on to off duration exactly and then repeat the timing after you have set the pump to the next highest setting and see if it stays on longer.

It could be that 3-4 minutes is the correct cycle time once the system is warm and that there is no problem.

Measuring the temperature differential across the boiler will identify if the flow rate is too low. It should be a nominal 10-15°C.

Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for your response my friend. I felt sorry for my friend for not having enough money to pay for repairs. As of your diagnostics this gives clear indication of what to expect. I had one engineer over he said to repair boiler cost will be £300 plus parts. I think this guy tried to rob a frail OAP. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

If you feel sorry for your friend then just pay for it to be repaired for him.

You can check the pump and flow for him yourself.

If you call someone without paying them to diagnose the fault then you are going to get a rip off merchant who is going to overcharge to fix anything.

We would expect to diagnose and fix that description ( if its faulty ) for about £180 in most cases if it needed a new pump but it could be higher if its sludged up.

British Gas will do a fixed price repair for about £200 but that will not cover dirt in the system.

Tony

Sponsored Links

If you call someone without paying them to diagnose the fault then you are going to get a rip off merchant who is going to overcharge to fix anything.

We would expect to diagnose and fix that description ( if its faulty ) for about £180 in most cases if it needed a new pump but it could be higher if its sludged up.

British Gas will do a fixed price repair for about £200 but that will not cover dirt in the system.

Tony

Hi Tony

If it's pump thats playing up then I have a little used pump removed from my old boiler before I upgraded to combi. Another engineer is coming this afternoon. He said he'll do the repairs at reasonable cost depending what he finds. I'll let you know.

Tony

Hi Tony

If it's pump thats playing up then I have a little used pump removed from my old boiler before I upgraded to combi. Another engineer is coming this afternoon. He said he'll do the repairs at reasonable cost depending what he finds. I'll let you know.

Hi Tony

reporting that engineer has been and he fixed my mates boiler. The problem was return side pump valve was closed. He charged my friend £50 call out. I didn't know that my friend got some engineer last week to repair his boiler and he fitted a new pump. Your diagnostics is spot on. Good show fellow and good on you. I am happy and my friend is happy.

I am glad that its working again.

But you could have found that yourself based on my suggestions.

Its seems odd that someone changed the pump but ( presumably ) got paid and went away without properly testing that iy was working.

Tony

I am glad that its working again.

But you could have found that yourself based on my suggestions.

Its seems odd that someone changed the pump but ( presumably ) got paid and went away without properly testing that iy was working.

Tony

Hi Tony

Poor old chap was confused to say the least. I intended to check the pump myself so I rang him to make sure if he is at home. He then told me he has had a guy fit new pump last week. The scum charged him £175 for changing a pump and left. I think chappy got ripped off. Any way he is happy for having his boiler work again. Thank you Tony.

I have to ask as to why your friend didn't ask you to call the original plumber back after fitting the new pump and the system didn't work :confused:

The scum charged him £175 for changing a pump and left

i think thats a bit out of order. for a start a pump, if grundfos will cost about 60-90£. then there is the labour. sure it could be a simple switch off the pump valves job. but from experience other problems could arise.end of the day we all have to make a living. and the guy who charged that sum may have a family to look after.sorry for the rant but calling someone scum for doing his trade is over the top.

We would charge £149 plus any parking in London if the pump valves were the gate type and worked.

But we would test it properly before leaving to ensure that the boiler was operating correctly.

So £175 does not seem so unreasonable as its only 17% more than we would have charged.

But then there are others who will just fit a pump for less than we do but our price does include properly checking the operation of the boiler and controls.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back