Potterton Kingfisher - overheating really badly - help

Hello Tony

No need to apologise for the paste not working, this was a best case scenario, and most definitely worth pursuing... never mind.

Can I check the Pot reliably with a simple multimeter, ie checking the resistance from one end of the scale to the other. If so, what should I look for, do they just get dirty or do they break down completely? should it be out of circuit when tested?

I have checked availability of the PCB, and can get one locally at a very reasonable price - very surprised!

Brian

Sponsored Links
Multimeter from wiper ( centre ) contact should give a variable and continuous reading rotated in each direction when measured from each end contact in turn.

Then measure the resistance from end to end and that should be the value on the side, perhaps 100k.

Best to measure at the end of the lead as that checks the leads are OK at the same time.

I told you the PCB was more reasonable.

I was not apologising for the thermal paste not curing the fault only offering sympathy that there is another fault. The fault of having no paste has now been corrected so you can move on to the next stage.

Tony

Hello Tony

Great news - I've fixed it!

The potentiometer was functioning correctly, so I replaced the PCB, and that was that! nice and warm, but definitely not boiling!

On further inspection, when I removed the plastic casing from the PCB, one of the two relays is clearly blackened inside its case. Its satisfying to see physical evidence of a fault. It may even be possible to fix it by replacing the relay, but I'm not going there - enough is enough.

Cost of replacing the PCB - £71.35 + vat.....bargain

If only I'd posted in this site in the first place.......

Thanks for all your help Tony, it really is greatly appreciated.

Brian :D

agile is all right

if he keeps this up I would suggest that he takes this heating lark up for a living as he seems to have a flair for it

;)

Sponsored Links
At the risk of giving myself a stress related coronary, I'm considering persuing this whole issue with Corgi (as the engineer concerned is Corgi registered) or some official body.
Is it just me that attracts poor workmen?
Would anyone who has been following the course of events care to comment.... Agile, Corgiman?

Brian (now feeling a bit vindictive)

P.S. I'll summarise all the events if it helps

I was just looking back at what you said and find that within 40 min I had replied:-

"""On the face of it then it does sound as if the PCB may be faulty however before changing it I would check the hot and cold resistance of the NTC sensor AND that its properly bedded in some NEW thermal transfer paste! You can heat it with a hair dryer but dont OVERheat it."""

Unless anyone has overcharged you I dont think there is much point in you persueing anything.

There are many people repairing boilers who are frankly not that clever. Thats why a personal recommendation is always the best.

Tony

BrianU said:
At the risk of giving myself a stress related coronary, I'm considering persuing this whole issue with Corgi (as the engineer concerned is Corgi registered) or some official body.
Is it just me that attracts poor workmen?
Would anyone who has been following the course of events care to comment.... Agile, Corgiman?

Brian (now feeling a bit vindictive)

P.S. I'll summarise all the events if it helps

please do phone the dog

EXEPT THEY CAN'T do JACK

CORGI MEANS YOUR SAFE TO WORK ON GAS

AND SOD ALL ELSE :rolleyes:

End of the day.....................Boiler is fixed,

You've had a lot of free advice, (from so called experts)

You are now wiser and know...........

Next time you have a problem start here.

You're right of course,

I'll put it down to experience, and next time, I'll post here first!

Brian

P.S. any of you cover the High Wycombe area? ;)

Those who cover High Wycombe cannot say so here because it might get deleted!

You dont enable anyone to contact you directly because you have not listed ( or have hidden ) your email !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back