potterton neataheat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Potterton neataheat boiler. I was having a problem with the centralheating so called a plumber who diagnosed the problem as 'The pump needs replacing' costing £118 + vat' but then he also said I need to a 2inch space around my boiler and said he needed to dig this now or else he will have shut down my gas. If I didnt comply he would have to report me to the Gas authorities and they would shut me down and would chrage £2000 to reconnect. Can anyone advise me, is this for real? I have read that Potterton boilers are still ok..

Please advise. Thanks

Sponsored Links
http://www.upperplumbers.co.uk/PDF/Manuals/Boilers/Potterton/Neatheat_10-16.pdf

Look at page 8, it seems to require 0.2 inches 5mm at the sides and 4 ins above and below, as I recall although models vary I think the clearances are much the same.

If you have the original fitting instructions the clearances should be stated.

Maybe he has misread .2 as 2 there may be issues with combustible materials or insufficient compartment ventilation if you can post a pic you should get a better reply.

Myself I have been out of gas fitting for some time (in fact the neatheat was the all singing all dancing new boiler when I was an Apprentice :D ) but I don't think clearances are subject to retrospective changes in regs.

The Mk 11 models specified 3 feet in front, 4" above and 10" below but this was for servicing access.

Mine has had a Barbour jacket and various other items draped over it for 33 years without problems. :LOL:

Has your "plumber " written anything down ? if so can you post exactly what he has said/wrote.

Sponsored Links
Ask to see his Gas Safe card and take his number off it . I'll bet he hasn't got one ;)

You certainly need ventilation and the manufacturers specify exactly what their requirements are.

I have to say that if asked in the street I would have chosen 2" rather than 0.2" but its all irrelevant as long as the space is there.

The reality is that its mostly to give clearance for removing the case.

As far as £2000 to have it reconnected that's all total nonsense! So he is being very economical with the truth there. One wonders where you found him from.

But it seems he has identified the problem and fixed it.

Tony

VC I like the long screwdriver you were holding :p

:?: :?: :?: :?: Where was that DP?

Long screwdrivers are good: gives the customer confidence they have someone with a decent tool kit plus it comes in handy to reach the four case screws at the back of the Neataheat when it's in a tight space. :D

:?: :?: :?: :?: Where was that DP?

Long screwdrivers are good: gives the customer confidence they have someone with a decent tool kit plus it comes in handy to reach the four case screws at the back of the Neataheat when it's in a tight space. :D

Yup first rule of tools if you are gonna have one have a big one! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back