Potterton neta profile 50 - strange noise from combustion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, happy new year,

I am hoping someone can help me please. I have a Potterton Netaheat Profile 50e that is making odd noises when running. The boiler fires up ok, Fan followed by pilot then main burner... Once running though on central heating a few minutes in, there is a reasonably loud noise (best way to describe sounds like a car starter motor lots of very fast clicking coming from the top half of the boiler / combustion chamber. From what I have read on this forums perhaps this is kettling?)

if I turn the control knob on the front of the boiler to max the sounds stops. The sound is intermittent, it was happening yesterday every time the boiler fired however overnight I turned it off completely (electric too) and today I fired it up again following correct sequence and it ran fine for about 45 minutes... Now the noise is back.

I will be contacting an engineer to look at it however I would appreciate any advice especially to know if anyone thinks there is a potential safety issue?

Thanks for any help/advice on what it could be, potential costs to fix, safety concerns etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply

A lot more research and listening to you tube clips of kettling, it's clear this is the noise my boiler was making. I also note from many posts that some people live with this kettling for months sometimes years.... Not sure how as the sound would drive me nuts after a few minutes...

I have also read that fernox silencer might reduce / eliminate the the noise... Any thoughts on this please? I will still get someone to have a look at the boiler, flush the system, service etc before messing with fernox, just interested in experience with these silencing products?

Thanks a lot for reading / any replies, appreciated.

Drain system.and add a bottle of fairy liquid , within the space of an hour the boiler will be as quiet as a mouse.

Ps.....you will possibly hear that detergent is not good for your system/pipework so take it with a pinch of salt as I have systems out there that were dosed with fairy 30 odd years ago. , this was also a recommendation from potterton over 35 years ago. ;)

Kingfisher/diplomat/crane/stelrad etc used to love it along with their owners. ;)

Sponsored Links
I have read a couple of posts elsewhere suggesting fairy liquid, wasn't really sure if this was a wind up... It would definitely be a cheap option.... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back