Potterton Profile 80el fires up intermittently.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why does my Potterton Profile 80el fire up intermittently?

I have a Megaflo installation and the boiler is Potterton Profile 80el. Over the last few days the boiler has become temperamental as it fires up occasionally but most of the time you can just hear the noise of the fan but no fire.

I've tested various things and sometimes the boiler will fire up straight away when either CH/HW are turned on. However, for the majority of times it goes through the proper sequence but after the click the boiler fails to fire up and is followed by a constant humming of the fan. Once the boiler fired up and almost immediately went out again. Even when it does fire up the radiators in the house do not warm up sufficiently as it soon goes back into 'humming' mode.

I'm guessing one of the parts in the boiler has gone dodgy but not sure which one. Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the gas valve is either not lifting because the pcb is dropping the voltage to it, or the gas valve is sticky itself.

They're are a lot of different problems that can make this fault occur though.

Have a competent gas registered engineer look at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back