Potterton Netaheat 16-22 problem - can anyone help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have this boiler: Potterton Netaheat 16-22 (Mk IIF).

Everything was working fine yesterday. The boiler has not been used at all since last year until yesterday as we were away.

Today the fuse blew when we turned it on - and replacement 1 amp fuses are blowing whenever it tries to start up.

The relay clicks, the fan whirrs briefly and then the fuse blows.

I had a poke around at the electrics and with the fan disconnected from the PCB (and everything else connected as usual) the fuse doesn't blow. If the fan stays connected and everything else is removed then the fuse blows. The fan does sound like its working for a second when its trying to start though.

I guess its something in its startup sequence that is broken but I dont know what.

Is this something I can work out myself or is it a case of calling someone in. I'm happy to turn the power off, change / replace a bit and turn it back on - but I dont want to touch anything that involves leaking gas etc.

The relay is new (last year) but everything else looks rather mid eighties I'd guess! I'm not keen on replacing the whole boiler right now and need it to work asap.

Can anyone help or recomend a plumber that would know in High Wycombe?

Thanks

Ant

Sponsored Links
If the fans running ( and make sure it is) check the pump, undo that big fat silver screw in the middle and try giving it a spin. you may get lucky.:cool:

Must repeat the warning not to go inside one of these because you have to be able to test the case seals - these are potentially lethal boilers.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure about the fan now. It seems that it may be on its last legs.

I took it out and it looks awful - really rusty with black sticky stuff on the back. The blades are nice and clean and spin fine. When I reconnected it I left the earth off (I had it at a bit of an angle so I could see the blades they didn't move and this time the 1amp fuse was fine but the 3amp fuse in the switch to the boiler blew.

I guess the fan is earthing through the 1amp fuse in the boiler (when its earth is connected!).

I didn't get as far as testing the pump yet.

Ant

Sponsored Links
Chris has given you a safety warning which you have chosen to ignore!

My advice is that you get a competent boiler engineer and that no one else should give you any advice as you clearly ignore safety issues.

Tony Glazier

Just to update. It was the fan that was broken and I got a new one today from "Sprint Hand" in Aylesbury and everything is working fine again. There are no CO emmsions from the case although we will get it serviced again now we know its not dead.

Thanks for all the help.

Ant

Which model of CO gas leak detector are you using then?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back