Potterton netaheat 16/22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton 16/22 and the problem is: the boiler fan comes on and fires the boiler up normally. However, after 1 or 2 seconds it shuts down and then fires up again for another 1 or 2 seconds. The diaphram/ presure switch have been checked and work correctly. The circuit board has been changed. It seems that after checking with a multi meter the gas valve is being turned on and off. But why after such a short period of time? Can any body help?

Sponsored Links
Could be dirt in the fan, could be dirt in the tubes to the aps or a split.

Could be a partially blocked pilot injector, so the pilot flame is not big enough or stable when the burner comes on to give rectification.

Could possibly be the metal ignition plate (can't think of its correct name) has burn't and worn down, (had that once)

Or the pcb knackered.

Be aware that these are positive pressure boilers and as such can be dangerous in the wrong hands :rolleyes:

Hi Dave

Potterton netaheat 16/22

Thank you for your comments. I should have said that the spark and pilot look OK The spark plate has been replaced. When the boiler fires up everything seems to be OK - but the boiler just cuts out before starting up again.
Thanks for the safety advice I will not touch any of the "gas" items.

Regards

Well if all I said checks out ok, then I can think it only leaves the pcb. These are very common to fail, but expensive if you mis-diagnose :eek:

Its the case that is the danger with these boilers, not just the gas parts.

Sponsored Links
ISTR that the Netaheat PCB has a relay involved with fan control /APS switchover that's prone to failure and gives these or similar symptoms....

If ONLY the PCB gets changed (or the work is done by a CORGI engineer) all well and good. But I've seen enough banana-shaped Netaheat casings to recommend EXTREME caution anywhere near a Netaheat!

Check the flue, look in from the outside and see if the inner flue tube has corroded through and you are getting mixing of the flue gasses therfore snuffing out the flame. The flue is aluminium and corrodes easily but is easily fixed by a corgi.

dragul said:
I have a Potterton 16/22
You havent stipulated which MK the boiler is. There are 3 different variants of this boiler all working in a different way. Does yours actually have a PCB?

Stan

these boilers are positive fanned boilers, unless your corgi reg you should not be working on it, leave alone and call an expert

Could possibly be the metal ignition plate (can't think of its correct name) has burn't and worn down, (had that once)

That would be the pilot earth bracket then. :)

pannierstan said:
dragul said:
I have a Potterton 16/22
You havent stipulated which MK the boiler is. There are 3 different variants of this boiler all working in a different way. Does yours actually have a PCB?

Stan

I used the term pcb 'loosely'. I beleive it is an ignition module or something. As said before I'm not to good at remembering correct terminology :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back