Potterton Performa 24 with issues...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if someone can help me please?
I have a Potterton Performa 24 which is no longer igniting.
I changed the diverter diaphragm yesterday, and after correcting the pressure (1.2Bar), everything worked fine.
However this morning it refused to fire, so I checked the pressure & found it to be almost at minimum. I corrected it again, this time to 1.5Bar, and it worked again.
Now several hours later it is refusing to fire again.
When I open a tap or operate CH, the diverter operates the switch as normal (phew!), which starts the pump, then within the control box a relay can be heard operating.
And that's it. Normally the burner ignites immediately after that relay operates.
I've tried pushing the pressure up to 2Bar, still nothing.

A little more info:
Found the engineers reset switch, tried that a few times, boiler eventually worked.
Long enough for one shower followed by about 20mins of CH. Then the boiler started to cut out/switch on/cut out.
Turned the heating off.
Pressure now down to 1Bar, topped it up.
DHW now no longer works.
CH produces the same intermittent on/off malarkey.
During all of this the pressure gauge is up & down like a bride's nightie.
Jumps to 2Bar (from say 1.4) when hot tap is turned on.
Drops by approx 0.2Bar when heating is activated, climbs when switched off.
Ultimately it loses pressure with each attempt.
Any clues?
And I've now noticed that the pump housing is very hot. Guessing it shouldn't be.

This problem appears (at this point) to be on the heating side: When the pump is cool & all is reset, pressure ok etc, the hot water seems to work ok. it seems the heating is what causes the pump to get hot, and I'm guessing this is tripping the safety thermostat.

When changing the DHW diaphragm I obv switched off the cold water inlet and ran a tap to dry, then used the filling loop when finished. Am I likely to have introduced air into the system this way? Am gonna bleed the rads (which I can get to) but what else is likely to have caused this? Blocked plate hex?
Somebody help me, please?

Sponsored Links
When you change a diaphragm on that model then all you need to do is turn off the cold water into the boiler.

I suppose you decided to drain the heating circuit as well?

Tony

Hi Tony,
Firstly thanks for getting back to me.
No I didn't drain the system. Just shut off the cold water inlet, then turned on a tap.
Whilst correcting the pressure afterward, I used the filling loop to add (obv) and the pressure release valve to reduce. I have checked this valve and the drain-off next to it, both are closed as far as they will go, but the pressure gauge is still dropping as though I have a leak. Can't find any telltale puddles or dripping to support that though...

Well if you did not drain the system then I cannot guess what you have done without being at the boiler to diagnose.

Its never advised to drain from a pressure release valve! Thats asking them to leak!

Tony

Sponsored Links
The pressure relief pipe should terminate to outside check that this isn't letting by. If it is you can try opening and shutting it a few times to clean the seating with the filling loop on a bit. If that doesnt work it will need taking apart and cleaning or replacing.

Only fill the pressure to around 1 bar. When cold

Right. It is indeed the PRV leaking, will try your suggestion Terry, thanks.
Still somewhat bemused by the hot pump.

Pumps get hot when not doing much pumping!

Try bleeding the pump bleed screw!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back