Potterton performa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I got up this morning. And the radiators were on even though only hot water selected.
On our old system in old house. It was a faulty motorised valve.
Our boiler is a combi potterton performs 28i. I believe the valve is in the boiler casing could this be the fault or could there be another cause.
Thanks in advance.
Steve

Sponsored Links
Assuming this is a combi then the diverter valve seems to have failed.

There seem to be three different types of diverter valves used in boilers called performs depending on how old it is.

Assuming your boiler is older then its a diaphram operated diverter valve which when it sticks will heat the rads when hot water is used.

I always replace the whole valve as cleaning them is not cost effective commercially and they usually stick again within a few months.

Tony

From what you discribe, I cannot agree with Agile.

Remove the front cover. Loosen the 2 phillips screws on the front panel. The metal cover moves up and off, fully undo the two screws and the front panel will hinge down. On the left hand side of the boiler is the brass diverter valve with the DHW selector microswitch at the front.

Is the pin sticking forward and actuating the microswitch? If so the diverter is jammed.

If not, run a hot tap and does the silver pin move forward and actuate the lever? If so the diverter is fine.

What I think you have is a failed microswitch telling the boiler to fire as if hot water is required. This will cause the boiler to fire all the time, but hot water will still work fine. If so you need a new DHW selector switch/ loom.

Sorry pc probs at the moment and working off a stupid net book.

Look on www.partsarena.com/baxi/ to get p/no or some other kind soul may be able to give you the number - very diyable fix ;)

Thanks for the 2 responses. I've just got in from work so I will have a look at it after my tea.
Cheers steve

Sponsored Links
The 28i as a pre-heat on it, sounds like its letting by on pre-heat.
new 3 way valve needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back