Potterton Potty Performa 28 Help needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i'm new to this, hopefully i will have explained myself well.

i have a potty performa 28 installed 3 years ago. yesterday it decided to stop working and the fan warning light is flashing. i have followed the fault diagnosis in the manual and looked at flow diagram D.

The pump runs but the fan does not.

I tested the mircoswitches for continuity and their relevant number on the PCB and they both function ok.

The central heating stat (temperature sensor) has a resistance of 13.62k ohms at 8 degrees celcius.

There is no voltage to the fan, and on the PCB A2 connector pins 5 and 7 have no reading were it should be 230v.

On switching the heating on the fan blade twitches a little but does not continuously spin. The blades move freely and all together so the fan is not jammed.

I can't see anything burnt on the PCB. The flow diagram suggests replacing the PCB.

Before i order a new PCB is there anything else i should check and test

Sponsored Links
Yes,

Find the overheat button (should be l/h/side) when pcb panel lowered.
Red I think?

Try to push this button in, and if it 'pops' back in, that is your problem

David

Except that something made it overheat!

Did you by any chance allow the system pressure to fall to zero ???

Tony

2 things first make sure you turn power off before trying to reset

also they have a habit of popping out every now and then so dont worry too much if pressure hadnt dropped ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for the quick responces. When i looked the pressure had dropped by 0.5 bar so i filled it up again. I will try and check what has overheated and let you all know the outcome.

There was no red button i looked everywhere the manual does not mention it either. I have seen this button on other boilers but not on this one.

I tested the overheat thermo and it has continuity at 8 degrees with a resistance of about 0.05 ohms, is this right????

. there is a reset setting on the board knob i tried this and still its the same problem.

I have taken some photo's if someone could point out where the overheat button should be. If its not there i guess i will order a new PCB.

p.s. how do i add a photo?

silly question i am sure you have try'd the reset position on the selector switch on the front :?:

edit

just noticed the one in the spares listing dose't have a button on :confused:

Have now replaced 3 pcb's with the same fault as yours (28/28i) fan twiches then stops, even making aps does not bring it on.

These boilers were 2 -3 years old

The o/h stat clips onto the flow pipe on the left below the combustion chamber.

It has two male spade connectors and a dark red "button" in between the spade connectors. To reset it IF it has tripped you push in in with an insulated rod such as a ball point pen.

Dont use a pencil as its graphite "lead" is a conductor and can give a lethal shock if touched onto a live connector!

Tony

Thanks for all the comments. I have ordered a new PCB for £80 inc vat and postage i should receive it on Thursday and will post the outcome.

got new pcb this morning, installed it and held reset as instructed for 3 seconds. this time fan light is off but overheat stat on and flame light on:evil: . went and bought new o/h stat still same problem:evil: . phoned potty the said hold reset for 30 secs if light dont distinguish then board faulty. did so and this new board must be faulty :cry: . awaiting replacement board.

got new pcb this morning, installed it and held reset as instructed for 3 seconds. this time fan light is off but overheat stat on and flame light on . went and bought new o/h stat still same problem :evil: . phoned potty the said hold reset for 30 secs if light dont distinguish then board faulty. did so and this new board must be faulty :cry: . awaiting replacement board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back