Potterton Prefect Controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

We have a somewhat antiquated boiler/central heating system, which is still working ok... although our time-switch packed up some time ago.

My dad installed our entire system and would have probably got round to sorting out the time-switch, at some stage, but very sadly died about 2 months ago.

Anyhow, I want to sort the switch out but am VERY much a beginner when it comes to electrics, etc... so please excuse me if I ask silly questions.

I believe it's the mechanical timer, which has failed (the controller itself, etc is ok)... so felt I had a number of options:

1 - get a replacement unit (difficult due to its age)
2 - replace the timepiece only (also difficult, due to the equipment being obsolete)
3 - put in a new, different switch.
4 - Get in a professional (I'm reluctant because I don't know enough to appreciate whether I'm being ripped off or not).

My dad secured a new controller (Siemens RWB2E) but I can't match the cabling to the contacts - the issue is that there are about 16 connectors on the old equipment, with individual wires feeding into them... yet only 6 on the Siemens.

I believe I may need a new backplate, which, from my research, seems to be the interface between the wiring/cabling and the time-switch.

Does this sound likely/correct?

If so, could someone recommend a suitable backplate?

Alternatively, if I've got it all wrong, could someone please put me straight?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Regards,

Gary

Sponsored Links
Get in a professional (I'm reluctant because I don't know enough to appreciate whether I'm being ripped off or not).

Charming. You are asking advice from the very people who you infer would rip you off as soon as look at you.

c heating and h water is always controled by a timer, all this does is to switch on and off at preset times.

you just need a simple timer for c heating. (lots available)

how ever since there are lots most makers seem to be opting to go for a standard configuration on the back plate (good idea)

your problem is your late father would of configured it so that it works, but not to any "standard configuration"

there are also stats and valves to be considered.

in order to help i suggest you post as many pictures of what you have as possible, with as much detail as possible*

posting picture information is in "forum information"

* pictures of what you have, pictures of its connections, if you can remove say the timer then add a pic of the wires. (2 pics for that)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back