Potterton Prima 50F Boiler won't fire up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed my boiler would keep attempting to start, i.e. the fan would start, but then it would cut out. I checked the operation of the air pressure switch and it seemed to be suspect. I've replaced this but the problem still exists. I've found that if you operate the pressure switch by blowing in the connecting pipes when the boiler is trying to start, you can make it fire up. I have checked all the connecting pipes for blockages or leaks and the little timing choke in the clear pipe is not blocked. If the boiler switches on and off on its own thermostat it can start without a problem. But, if the main room thermostat switches the boiler off, then switches it on again, the boiler keeps cycling with the fan starting and stopping, but he gas never switches on. I have checked the PCB for dry joints and can't see anything obvious, however I'm beginning to think there may be a problem with a sticking relay in the control unit, after I got the boiler to start by tapping the control unit while it was in the 'fan cycling' state. Has anyone got any ideas on what I should try next?

Sponsored Links
I have a Potterton Suprima 50 that started to to do exactly the same thing last night. Haven't had any luck getting it to relight so would be interested in how you get on.

I have had the pcb fail giving a similar fault. I would check your flue though, I once went to a job that had various parts fit Fan, APS ,etc eventualy found a blockage in the inner flue pipe outside ( a bird ) a long shot but you never know.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
My boiler decided to stop working today. Pilot light is working although the ignition is still sparking even though the pilot is up. Boiler does not light up on demand from either HW or H. Sounds like the fan is running but not main burner. any help appreciated

I have taken the bottom cover off and pushed the reset button -no difference. I can see a small electric arc on the pcb which is sparking with the ignition-is this normal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back