Potterton Prima F Odd Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Prima F conventional boiler. It stopped working the other day and would only start again once the reset button was pressed. Also the circulating pump was very hot almost too hot to touch! We had a gas engineer coming round the following day to fit a new gas hob so asked him to look at it. He fixed it, after a days labour, by changing the 3 way valve and circulating pump. He did say he wasn't sure how it was working as the electrical connections looked odd. The problem has now reoccurred and I'm looking for some help before calling him back.

The issue now is that the only way I can get central heating is by bypassing the room thermostat. Also we can only get either central heating or hot water, not both at the same time! I tried a new thermostat today and that didn't work.

I'm thinking that the 3 way valve isn't working (again?) and/or some sort of blockage in the pipes causing the circulating pump to overwork and get very hot? I've bled all of the radiators and the air vent next to the hot water cyclinder and some air came out but not loads. Header tank is full.

Any ideas helpful as its very cold and I'm keen that the house stays warm! :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back