Potterton Profile, hot water no heating

All controls off, then CH on and calling, motorised valve moves to mid position and fan activates but boiler doesn't fire. Call for hot water and all OK.

Any suggestions for what to check/do next?

Why the 'mid position'? Mid position is when there is a call for heating AND h/water.

Dunno why, but I smell a rat here. Its a wiring issue is this is a genuine topic.

Im out.

Sponsored Links
All controls off, then CH on and calling, pump moves to mid position and fan activates but boiler doesn't fire. Call for hot water and all OK.

As others have said,it's a wiring issue, and I don't believe the fan is running either ( are you sure you don't mean the pump)

The reason the boiler isn't firing is that the valve needs to open fully to the heating position and not the mid position as you describe above
You have a problem with the HW off side of things, check the valves grey wire connection it should have 230 on it when HW is off and work back from there to the programmer

Matt

You said the fan works! Thats different from the pump and is in the boiler!

Is the boiler knob turned on and the lights correct? do they change when you provide the call for heat? What happens if you press the reset button?

You may need a boiler engineer!

Tony

Sponsored Links
The boiler is on the ground floor, and the pump and valve are in the loft so I cannot physically check both at the same time.

Part of the start up routine for the boiler is that the fan runs, which was not happening before, the pump and the valve also appear to operate when calling for heat on the CH side.

The boiler thermostat is fully on at maximum, however there are no lights on the boiler so they cannot indicate anything, the overheat stat has not tripped, so has not had to be reset.

So boiler fires when hot water only is called for? Yes?
Boiler fires when both hot water and ch are called for and the heating works, yes?
When ch only is called for then pump runs but boiler doesn't fire

It sounds as though your system was once gravity HW and pumped ch but has been converted to fully pumped (poorly)
There is a selector inside the boiler control panel to select between gravity HW or fully pumped, in the fully pumped position then the two live inputs to the boiler are permanent live and switched live
In the gravity position then the two inputs are ch switched live and HW switched live
This is how your control wiring may still be wired ie with two switched lives
As such it req looking at as it is not correct
Also worth noting is that if it has been converted to fully pumped and
1 the wiring has not been altered to suit
2 the internal selector switch has not been switched to the correct position
Then I would find it unlikely that
3 the overheat stat has been moved to its correct position either

You may be better getting someone in to look at it

Matt1e - Yes boiler fires for HW & CH, and HW only but not CH, but fan and pump operate.

System has always been fully pumped and until saturday was working fine.

What else can I check which adds to the CH call for heat cycle to cause the boiler to fire?

Matt1e - Yes boiler fires for HW & CH, and HW only but not CH, but fan and pump operate.

System has always been fully pumped and until saturday was working fine.

What else can I check which adds to the CH call for heat cycle to cause the boiler to fire?

The only thing that is "added" to the ch only cycle is the call for heat to the boiler from the valve, which won't be happening as long as the valve is in mid position
I have already explained this to you in an earlier post

Regarding the fan running,that should only run when there is a call for heat
It sounds s though you have multiple problems or you are mistaken about the fan

All controls off, then CH on and calling, motorised valve moves to mid position and fan activates but boiler doesn't fire. Call for hot water and all OK.

Why the 'mid position'? Mid position is when there is a call for heating AND h/water.

Dunno why, but I smell a rat here. Its a wiring issue is this is a genuine topic.

Im out.

MisterDubya, sorry to disappoint you but this is a real situation, my CH is only working because the HW is making the boiler fire. As for the midposition on the valve, maybe I've misled by stating this, all I can say is that on CH only, the pump starts and the valve moves from HW (port B, default position), but boiler will not fire.

perhaps the "fire boiler" wire from the motorised valve is not correctly wired.

I think you need to find your multimeter and your wiring diagram. It will be easier if all the connections are in a wiring centre.

There is only one ( orange ) fire boiler wire from the motor valve!

We dont seem to have been clearly told if the valve really does move to the CH only position.

Even if it does, then the mechanical linkage inside may not be operating the microswitch.

Regardless, the only way forward is a test meter and someone who knows how to use it!

Tony

Update - borrowed multi-meter from work, tested room stat and cylinder stat signals in wiring centre, both healthy 230+, however orange wire from valve reading 42-44, so now confirmed that boiler is not getting signal from valve to operate.

This is a new salus valve head on to the original valve body. Is there a way of checking if the valve is faulty, or should I just take it back to the supplier?

To give 230v on the orange it needs a supply on the white or grey wire and to be in an activated position! Thats either friom the timeclock, thermostat or just any live supply .

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back