Potterton Promax SL loud vibration!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have a potterton promax sl boiler, which intermittently makes a really loud vibration/noise that seems to be a problem to diagnose as i cant always reproduce the noise. It won't happen from a cold start on the boiler....only after it's been running for an hour or so....and can go a week with no noise at all.

Does not happen on hot water, only happens on central heating. The noise is from the boiler itself and can be felt by pressing on the casing. I took the main case off while it was happening and the noise seemed to be from the bottom (fan area?).

The noise stops as soon as you turn the heating off, and you can turn the heating back on straight away and it clears.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
33 views and no reply.
Try saying please and thank you.
(This is getting weary now):rolleyes:

Possibly they didn't know the answer? Just a thought!

However, on a serious note, I forgot the pleases and thank you's and I'm sorry!

Sponsored Links
Possibly they didn't know the answer? Just a thought!

However, on a serious note, I forgot the pleases and thank you's and I'm sorry!
One view was mine and I do know!
I forgive you, other posters are not man enough to apologise when it's pointed out to them, they get all arsey!

Anyway . As gordon says, gas valve needs adjusting.
You need a boiler man.(y)

Thanks gordongas and mcmoby69. I will get someone out.

(y)

Matt

SSE are doing a fixed price repair just now at £150 one off payment, if it does need a gas valve you will be quids in, it might just need adjusting though

pretty sure its not the gas valve but you do need a gas engineer for this boiler as upgrades are available but what i would say is things need replacing and cleaning out also , i would get baxi out for this boiler as they know whats needed but would cost more ,or else i suspect you will have a few visits but doesn't matter if you don't work and have time to attend each appointment

Churts - hello, I have had this exact problem, I totally understand what you mean when you cant reproduce the noise as you never know when it is going to do it.

have you managed to get yours sorted yet? I am looking for advice also, before getting a boiler man round.

thanks very much,

Churts - hello, I have had this exact problem, I totally understand what you mean when you cant reproduce the noise as you never know when it is going to do it.

have you managed to get yours sorted yet? I am looking for advice also, before getting a boiler man round.

thanks very much,

Hi!

Still not found the answer! It hasn't got any worse....but still does it every few days. I'd love to know the answer if you find out!!!

Any chance you’ve found a solution anyone? Is your boiler still doing it? Mine makes exactly the same noise but haven’t a clue what it is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back