potterton puma 100e diverter valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am having a problem with my boiler,when it calls for heat it fires up 15 to 20 seconds then cuts out and 10 sec latter it fires up again,and there is a loud hissing noise from the boiler it cycles like this for half a dozen time before it settles down,and it takes quite a time before it reach,s temp on room stat.
pat.pai

Sponsored Links
Its not clear exactly what your problem might be.

Things to check are:-

Does DHW demand switch turn off immediately demand has ceased.

Do you have any dripping taps or showers?

Is CH output set to match system? Thats the most likely cause and if so its only turning the pot on the PCB down to cure!

The diverter may well be slow to respond but if it gets there within a couple of minutes thats still OK.

Tony

Hi tony

DHW turns of immediately

No dripping taps

CH panel set points are not in use on this PUMA 100e model

could the fault lie with the expansion valve,and if so how can I check it

Pat

Could just be a slow pump. Is it more or less OK on HW?

Sponsored Links
Things to check are:-

Is CH output set to match system? Thats the most likely cause and if so its only turning the pot on the PCB down to cure!

Tony

The CH setting is a black spindle on a potentiometer lower down on the main PCB. It needs to be set just above minimum so the flame is about twice the minimum size ( that assumes the minimum flame sixe is correct at about 10 mm flame height compared with about 40 mm at maximum. )

Tony

Glad that I was able to suss that one out for you!!

Much cheaper to adjust the pot than change the pump!

It will also run slightly more efficiently and quietly and with less stress on the parts.

Tony

And how old is the boiler?

Adjusting the potentiometer to a lower setting will of course improve the problem, inevitable that a pump is required!

Hi
my boiler is ten years old could you tell me how i could check the large expansion vessel
pat

Even wth the heating output on FULL it shouldn't cut out in 15-20 seconds. Turning it down is NOT a fix! If it "settles down" that certainly wasn't the problem though the setting should roughly match the load. If the pump's working the rads should heat up evenly together - do they?

Pressure vessel is covered in the faq's - Boiler Pressure Problems covers how it works.

30 kW into a sluggish diverter valve is almost certain to cause "noises".

The real underlying problem is likely to be a sluggish diverter valve but with the CH properly set its likely to be some time before it has to be changed.

The problem is more noticeable when the incoming water is so cold.

Tony

Hi

could any one tell me how i can find FAQ as i an new to this forum and find i cant navigate to well iam looking for boiler pressure problems.

pat

Hi

your right i need to kick myself

i check the expansion vessel and air discharged from it so now i know the diaphragm is ok,so it makes me think it's the diverter valve could any one tel me the operation of this valve

pat[/u]

It's something to read up on - plenty of posts here, do a search.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back