Potterton Puma 80 - DIY or not???

Sponsored Links
S'funny how often people who fail to trust turn out to be untrustworthy. However...

Mikey_B, shame on you. If you're a self-confessed total novice, then I respect you for asking for the help that you need, but your initial post was highly demeaning towards your letting agent, whom you later called an estate agent, notwithstanding the fact that the letting agent is not your landlord, and therefore not financially liable for repairs and maintenance.

In your second post you launched straight into sarcasm, which is something that really gets my goat, hence me sticking my nose in now.

You have no right to assume that everyone will join in with your attitude towards estate agents - very few of them are liars, just like very few plumbers give the trade a bad name. And your claim, retrospectively, that your apparent slur was light-hearted, would seem to be one with deeply questionable sincerity.

And how, may I ask, f***ing dare you address the "ever-approachable" (sic.) ChrisR in that manner - he's a stalwart of this forum and you haven't been alive for enough minutes to have read all the useful advice that he's provided to forum members, and invariably with great humility.

I suggest, politely, that you thank the members who actually helped you, Agile being the first - an oblique and grudging acknowledgment is not the same as a compliment.

I'm sure everyone here would grant you a retry - if you have another question, then have another go at being a decent and even-handed human being.

bender said:
My case rests !
Now then bender, you are nothing but trouble. I've already made clear my feelings about you, on another topic, and here you've contributed nothing except to incite a negative reaction from someone who had already received accurate advice and good support. AFAIK, you've never asked a question on this forum, never asked for help, never been in a position to directly judge the helpfulness and quality of advice being given, and yet your very first post went like this:

A lot of plumbers on this site give the trade a bad name.
Either buck your ideas up, or just b*gger off back to your wendy house, you absolute waste of human skin.

very eloquently put softus, as per.

:cool:

New campaign Softus for the foriegn office :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Just like bender, I too have been amazed at the sarcastic & condecending tone used towards diy'ers, particularly newbies. Its so common to see a perfectly reasonable question in the OP followed by a torrent of sarcastic, clever dick type comments which I fully understand but would never actually say to someone in real life.
I must admit there are a few exceptions (Agile for one) who seem to make a 'best endeavour' to answer politely and demonstrates a professional attitude towards his work.
Others will simply 'hijack' the post with childish irrelevant banter.
And Softus?? .....Jeez out of a hundred posts, a handful of constructive comments and the rest a total waste of self righteous, pompous arrogance telling total strangers how to ask a question in the way he likes.
Therefore, this ex B Gas engineer (10yrs), technician(10 yrs),and training instructor for 10 yrs will not be contributing to this (potentially) great site because I will not allow myself to be associated with such unprofessional conduct. (Some....not all)
If some of the people on here spoke to me in this way in a pub/bar....I suspect that they'd need a little help collecting teeth before they left.

PS. To all who don't behave in this way, my comments are not directed at you...I only used 'Agile' as an example. Perhaps you would do well to follow his example and display true knowlenge (sometimes wrong, usually right) as opposed to criticising others' ability, grammar, DIY capability, phrasing of questions et al.

garethgas said:
Just like bender, I too have been amazed at the sarcastic & condecending tone used towards diy'ers, particularly newbies.
bender doesn't profess to be amazed, he just criticises.

garethgas said:
And Softus?? .....Jeez out of a hundred posts, a handful of constructive comments and the rest a total waste of self righteous, pompous arrogance telling total strangers how to ask a question in the way he likes.
Your stupid little opinion is noted :evil:

garethgas said:
Therefore, this ex B Gas engineer (10yrs), technician(10 yrs),and training instructor for 10 yrs will not be contributing to this (potentially) great site because I will not allow myself to be associated with such unprofessional conduct.
It's your loss :rolleyes: . Presumably you'll be cutting off your nose to teach your face a lesson too.

Softus
Same old nonsense!
You obviously know nothing about the topic so you try and humiliate posters instead to make yourself look more knowlegable than you actually are.
Hence your lame attempt to undermine what I said.

MOD 2
pack it in i dont like fights ;)

garethgas said:
Therefore, this ex B Gas engineer (10yrs), technician(10 yrs),and training instructor for 10 yrs will not be contributing to this (potentially) great site because I will not allow myself to be associated with such unprofessional conduct. (Some....not all)

Bye then.......
I have yet to receive such comments from anyone, bar breezer that is but when you get to know his cyberhumour then all is fine.
As for advice......................Its Free and we should all be grateful of such on tap advice, go back to yesteryear.... oh dear i have a problem with my boiler, what can i do ?? er i only have one option... call a plumber out...
Nowadays, via this forum, the problem can be resolved within the hour at a fraction of the cost.
So for what advice i receive i am truly grateful for and the sarcasm and clever dick answers, you must have had some strange questions levied at you in your profession ?

Oooh, just realised, take a look at this for a perfect example:-

Your stupid little opinion is noted icon_twisted.gif

garethgas wrote:
Therefore, this ex B Gas engineer (10yrs), technician(10 yrs),and training instructor for 10 yrs will not be contributing to this (potentially) great site because I will not allow myself to be associated with such unprofessional conduct.

It's your loss icon_rolleyes.gif . Presumably you'll be cutting off your nose to teach your face a lesson too.

I mean....with 30 yrs experience...do you REALLY think its MY loss??
And in what way is my opinion stupid? but at least you noted it...perhaps you might one day ponder and reconsider your tone towards others

garethgas said:
You obviously know nothing about the topic so you try and humiliate posters instead to make yourself look more knowlegable than you actually are.
On the contrary - I actually know an awful lot about the notorious Puma 80, but in any case I have no need, or wish, to mislead anyone about my knowledge. The profesionals on this forum know perfectly well that I never pretend to know what I don't know. It's kind of an annoying habit that I have, being honest.

garethgas said:
Hence your lame attempt to undermine what I said.
Oh, I think we all know that it was far from lame :evil:

<hmm, I see you've edited your post. Well then, I'll add some more>

garethgas said:
Oooh, just realised, take a look at this for a perfect example...
Oooh, apparently irony is not something you recognise, even when it pokes you in the eye :rolleyes:

garethgas said:
I mean....with 30 yrs experience...do you REALLY think its MY loss??
Momentarily ignoring your need to publish what you regard as a wealth of experience, the answer is "yes" - I really do.

garethgas said:
And in what way is my opinion stupid?
(Yawn) In a childish way - it was a childish and humourous put-down. Jeesh. To be more serious about it, your opinion isn't stupid, it's just plain inaccurate.

garethgas said:
...but at least you noted it...
Nope. You're confusing me with someone who cares.

garethgas said:
perhaps you might one day ponder and reconsider your tone towards others
You really think that? Really? Methinks you're a little naive, even after 30 years of doing whatever it is that you do.

OK - I'm out of this. We've had our spat - anything more will be taking us round in circles. Good luck with wherever you go from here. I daresay you won't be able to resist this wonderful site forever :D

-----------------------------
MOD 2 - I hear and obey!

garethgas said:
Just like bender, I too have been amazed at the sarcastic & condecending tone used towards diy'ers, particularly newbies. Others will simply 'hijack' the post with childish irrelevant banter.
... ...

Best to ignore the CORGI nazis and just rise above it

Skybluescooby
Yes I have had lots of questions...daft and not so daft, sometimes they need a little humour injected sometimes not. My point is the way that SOME will try and belittle the guys asking perfectly reasonable questions.
And, just because the advice is free, doesn't give anyone the right to be rude, don't you agree?

garethgas said:
Skybluescooby
Yes I have had lots of questions...daft and not so daft, sometimes they need a little humour injected sometimes not. My point is the way that SOME will try and belittle the guys asking perfectly reasonable questions.
And, just because the advice is free, doesn't give anyone the right to be rude, don't you agree?

Absolutely

I can be scathing at times, but then that's my character, but if someone asks for advice, if I have the answer, they get it without prejudice

... including quite a number of CORGI's who I've ended up telling them things that they should know and that they're getting paid for sorting out

and I'm not CORGI.

WHilst there are some savvy people here, there are CORGI's who I wouldn't let near anything more dangerous than a soft crayon

We all have diferent perceptions of rudeness and we all know the saying, ask a stupid question........
Thing is some trades do their work day in day out and some questions raised can only be taken in a light of astonishment and disbelief, try reading some of the posts in the electrical section, its a form of forum suicide judging by what some people are preparing to do, Electrics = Electricians is what i say and i can see how some trades come on here and get a little "irate" at such unbelievable and sometimes contradictory questions.
Plus no-one can decipher the tone, much like an sms message, you read it how you choose and some peoples posts may seem rude to others but perfectly sane to others ?
Its a strange one and i'm not taking sides, however all i can say is that the longer you are involved in this forum/website the easier it is to see various types of posting patterns.
In all walks, time is a great healer

I admit I haven't asked any questions (can you blame me ?), but I've found the forum to be a good source of knowledge and 'tricks of the trade' over the last few months while I've been replacing my CH system.

It's a shame that there is so much unpleasantness in many of the posts, often from the plumbers themselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back