Potterton Puma 80 pilot light problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a potterton puma 80 permanent pilot boiler, which is sporadically losing it's pilot. Sometimes it will run for a few days, sometimes it loses it overnight, or during the day. I have replaced the Thermocouple twice now, just to make sure, and it's still doing the same.

I have previously replaced the DHW pressure actuator, and the main fan, due to other problems. Other than this problem, the boiler is working fine. A boiler guy in work, said it could be a faulty gas valve, but having read previous posts I see it could also be a faulty overheat stat.

Will the overheat stat knock the boiler off when it's not in use?

Has anyone heard of one of these boilers needing a gas valve?

Any suggestions about what else to check?

Thanks,
Col.

Sponsored Links
Does the fan run at slow speed when just on pilot?

The overheat on these are done using an interupter on the pilot so yes the pilot will go out if overheat occurs.

topfridgeman said:
Every Puma 80 I've ever seen has had a gas valve.

topfridgeman said:
Every Puma 80 I've ever seen has had a gas valve.

haha Softus

Case seal broken?

O/heat stat?

Blocked pilot?

And do you have ivy growing on the outside of your house?

Dave

Sponsored Links
Hello Dave,

The Pilot light is strong, and the fan runs on low whilst the boiler is in idle. I will check the case seal. I'll also check the overheat stat.

There's no ivy on the outside of the house by the boiler flue, but, the boiler is on the gable end in the loft, so probably sees some wind. Is there any cowl you can buy to help if this is the problem?

Thanks very much softus, I MEANT NEEDING A REPLACEMENT GAS VALVE!.

Col.

topfridgeman said:
Thanks very much softus, I MEANT NEEDING A REPLACEMENT GAS VALVE!
All of them need replacement gas valves, eventually.

Some of those gas valves come with boilers attached. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back