Potterton Puma 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my Potterton Puma 80 boiler. Pilot light is on but power light is off. Mains have been checked.

Do you have any suggestions for me to look into ?

Sponsored Links
Dig at partsarena.com/baxi to find the manual which has a fault finding section.
Bet it's the PCB.

Cheers for that, I have printed the user manual from that site link which has given me a couple of pointers.

Mine did this recently. I kept flicking the Standby switch on and off, and on about flick number 8 it fired back up. Have other problems since, highlighted on another thread!

Sponsored Links
Main fuse, should be clipped onto pcb (glass type)

Look for scorch marks or other damage on the top, left of PCB. There is MAINS VOLTAGE at this point on the PCB, so watch it! Due to a 'design oversight', the pin carrying mains from one of the plugs onto the board often overheats and becomes (partly) detached from the copper track on the back of the board. Matters go from bad to worse as there is less and less copper cross-section to carry the (quite high) current, driving both fan and pump!

Eventually the PCB itself gets hot, scorches and sometimes actually catches fire.

Total crepe!!!

Look for scorch marks or other damage on the top, left of PCB. There is MAINS VOLTAGE at this point on the PCB, so watch it! Due to a 'design oversight', the pin carrying mains from one of the plugs onto the board often overheats and becomes (partly) detached from the copper track on the back of the board. Matters go from bad to worse as there is less and less copper cross-section to carry the (quite high) current, driving both fan and pump!

Eventually the PCB itself gets hot, scorches and sometimes actually catches fire.

Total crepe!!!

Seen it today!

Never seen a board so badly damaged!

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back