Potterton Puma 80 timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have now bought the above (reconditioned) but it does not have a timer with it. My current boiler is on it's way out, so I need it fitted quickly.
Two questions:

1. How much is a timer for this boiler, a simple 24h 7day timer
2. My plumber can fit the boiler fairly quickly, is it a difficult job to fit the timer myself at a later date? I don't really want to have to wait another week for the timer to turn up as well?

Thanks for the help again

Rob

Sponsored Links
I am not a heating engineer or plumber. I have done this twice at 2 different houses. I also assume no combi boiler and no electric valves

The boiler needs to be told when to come on, as does the pump.
You connect a cable from the timer out put (marked boiler) to the boiler.

You the connect the pump to the timer VIA the room thermostat.

In esence all the"programmer" does is to turn the boiler and pump on as and when required, but the room stat stops the pump when the house is hot enough.

Most "programmers" come with instructions.

I found the cheapest one i could http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=84729&id=11225

Great, I didn't realise you could use 'any' timer, so that helps a lot.

If I cannot get one quickly I'll go down this route

Cheers

Rob

Not "ANY" timer will do for it to work properly, all most "prograamers" are two time switches in the same package. the link i mentioned acording to their tv ad, deliver next day working day if ordered by 5.00 pm

Sponsored Links
Me again.

Is this a job I can handle, with fairly minimal electrical knowledge.
Obvioiulsy I'll isolate the unit etc, and the wires themselves are all labelled.

i should't rush it (only been 4 months since you asked) but yes follow the instructions for the timer carefully if in doubt ask.

lol - believe it or not it's taken that long to get the boiler and get it fitted.
The other one was working, but dripping.
Bought a reconditioned one (couldn't afford a new one), eventually got someone to fit it. It did not work.
Had to go for 2 weeks without hot water and heating, then it eventually got fixed.

I now have a timer, a boiler that seems to work ok, and hopefully I can get them working together!!!

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back