potterton puma 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help... i've got a potterton puma 80,when i turn on the hot water the red led light comes on the modulating board.get hot water for about 3 mins then it locksout..fine on central heating any ideas will be very helpful......

Sponsored Links
forgot to mention we had boiler moved yesterday,before that everything fine..

Sponsored Links
It may just be air in the system!

Is the AAV at top left working with the screw just loose?

The person who moved it should identify and fix the problem!

You could check the pump is free to turn and does not have air in it. Thats probably the cause of the problem.

Get back on to him!

Tony

If there's a pump problem you'd expect more trouble on CH than HW.

Does the red light go OUT smartly when you turn the tap off?

man who moved it said not anything he done
If he doesn't know what's wrong with it how does he know he didn't do it?
Could be just a wire pulled off something.
Ask him to show you which is the water temperature sensor, which is the water overheat thermostat, and exactly which wires from the board to the gas valve turn the gas down if the water's getting too hot.

If he does, the problem could just be something like a bad connection on the circuit board which didn't like being disturbed. Those boards are awful for that sort of thing so it wouldn't be his fault. Old boilers don't respond well to being moved.

thanks chris, red light goes out straight away after shuting hot tap down...spoke to installer he came and looked at it but no joy said didnt get involved with boiler breakdowns but said in might be dhw microswitch...

so you have to fix it, probably his error at your expense, why not call ln some one in and ger it fixed and send the firt bloke the bill?

or tell him thats what you intend to do can he recomend some one (who he will pay for)

Personally I'd never move a boiler unless fiiting brand new one. It's always problematic and by the end of it it'd have been cheaper (and more cost effective long term) to buy new.

This demonstrates the wisedom of getting a competent person to do this kind of work!

He may be able to physically move it and connect the pipes but whats the point if he cannot get it to work in the new location.

There are too many people doing jobs like this without the necessary skills to follow it through.

There is as much work moving a boiler as fitting a new one apart from cleaning the system. When people call me and I say it will be £500 they say they expected it would be about £100 at the most! As this poster has discovered there is more to it than just a bit of pipework!

Tony

does the flow rate start of a dribble then increase significantly after a few seconds, no increase in flow would point towards a wax capsule failure, overheating and shutdown - although a restriction in the pipework would have a similar affect

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP BUT STILL NO HOT WATER AND MISSUS BENDING ME EAR TO GET IT FIXED ANY IDEAS................THANKS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back