Potterton puma 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a potterton puma 80 combi boiler (2 years old), i live in a first floor 3 bed flat.The hot water works ok but boiler sometimes makes strange noise when hot tap running.The ch however comes on and goes off by itself and sometimes (getting more frequent) the pilot also goes out and i have to relight it.Anyone got any ideas please.

Sponsored Links
Absolutely. It's the hot water flow switch sticking on.

Thanks Chris R.Is this the only thing it could be?Will this cure my heating coming on and off by itself.

Yes, and Yes.

Boiler thinks you're drawing hot water so it lights up, and looks at the HW temp. But you aren't drawing hot water, so the heat goes to the rads. Boiler sees the HW isn't getting hot (it isn't flowing past the sensor) so it makes the rad water hotter, and hotter... until an overheat stat cuts the gas off. See?

The dhw (Domestic Hot Water) flow switch turns a red led on, on the main pcb. Lower the front panel and you'll see it. The switch is the 3 - 4" round disc shaped thing just left of centre, hex tube sticking out to right has two apertures (may not be conveniently oriented) through which you should see the shaft operating when you turn a tap on. Check it returns ok. If not you can dismantle and clean the glass shaft. Actual electric switch is the microswitch on the rh end.

TURN THE POWER OFF while fiddling, the switch still switches (and clicks). If you poke something like a nail file through the apertures in the hex bit, where you'll see a spring, you'll be able to push the shaft back off (left). With power back on you should see the red light come on when the hot tap is on.

New switch RRP is about £50, a 10 minute job to swap, as a rule.
Hell, I should do this for a living.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back